• You cannot reply to this topic

Help with new brake scheme piglet needs help Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 07 December 2014 - 08:01 PM

See screenshots on Feather River - Activity is 3DT-HCP-040-ORO-03 - consist has eng at front and rear (rear started out as player in previous activity - picked up another engine which became lead, player at rear of consist)
Lead locomotive is 1; trying to uncouple trailing helper #21. Whatever I do and no matter the order I do it in, when I uncouple the rear locomotive the emergency brake is triggered, and the backspace does not release it.
There appears to be only a brake hose option for the front hose in the "car ops window" - shouldn't there be one for the rear? Isn't that connected to the last wag in the consist that is connected to the helper engine?
Obviously I do not know what I'm doing here, before it was quite simple, set the handbrake and uncouple .... all was well

OR X2685

Frist shot shows rear helper engine as player? Is that right?

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: 1.jpg
  • Attached Image: 2.jpg
  • Attached Image: 3.jpg
  • Attached Image: 4.jpg
  • Attached Image: 5.jpg

#2 User is offline   ATW 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS Open Rails

Posted 07 December 2014 - 08:23 PM

As in real life you need to mess with the angle cock options on the connection ends before cutting away an before cutting away if you don't want train to go into emergency. But I think \ key helps with not having to check each hose as if it was like shift+/.

#3 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 07 December 2014 - 11:02 PM

You have to close rear angle cock of unit 20 before uncoupling 21, because otherwise the brake pipe will be open at its end, thus all air will bleed off from it, that results an emergency application. For releasing the brakes, you would have to pump the brake line up again, but you are unable to, until you close the rear valve.

#4 User is offline   copperpen 

• Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 08 December 2014 - 03:50 AM

Using the new brake system, I have uncoupled my test train into several sections without using angle cocks and never triggered an emergency brake.

#5 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President

Posted 08 December 2014 - 04:17 AM

View Postcopperpen, on 08 December 2014 - 03:50 AM, said:

Using the new brake system, I have uncoupled my test train into several sections without using angle cocks and never triggered an emergency brake.

How will this work for automatic coupling and uncoupling?
Must the program actively close and open angle cocks and if so, how should that be done?

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#6 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 08 December 2014 - 04:30 AM

Rob, the brake initialization works in a way that it configures everything to a working state. As I have seen (I will double-check it at the evening), AI trains execute UnconditionalInitializeBrakes(), and this command connects everything together, sets the angle cocks correctly and pumps up the brake line promptly. Very unprototypical, but efficient. :) (It is the same command as the keyboard "Initialize brakes", which for the player should be available as a debug command only in a longer term. The "connect brake hoses" does the same almost, except the pumping up.)

View Postcopperpen, on 08 December 2014 - 03:50 AM, said:

May I ask for some details? (E.g. a screenshot with braking HUD visible.) I cannot reproduce this. Anyway, there are still some issues I noticed myself. And I am also trying to clean up the brake systems (AirSinglePipe.cs, AirTwinPipe.cs, EPBrakeSystem.cs), because they are arranged in a way that it isn't easy at all to make even minor modifications, because some methods are copied to the different files, and some modifications were done by only modifying one of them, but not the other, so while they do 95% the same, they are written quite differently. Also the MR pipe of the twin pipe system is partly managed in AirSinglePipe.cs, partly in AirTwinPipe.cs. EP control pipe (BrakeLine4 in OR) is managed as a pressured pipe, while in real life it is an (set of) electronic control wire! While the code works mostly well, it is quite messy, so I would like to make some clean-up too. This clean-up might lead to minor bugs after committing it, so please forgive me in advance. :)

#7 User is offline   R H Steele 

Posted 08 December 2014 - 10:09 AM

View Postgpz, on 07 December 2014 - 11:02 PM, said:

You have to close rear angle cock of unit 20 before uncoupling 21, because otherwise the brake pipe will be open at its end, thus all air will bleed off from it, that results an emergency application. For releasing the brakes, you would have to pump the brake line up again, but you are unable to, until you close the rear valve.

Many thanks, so logical, I was so intent on shutting off the angle cocks on the helper that I totally forgot the wagon :) . I should never be allowed anywhere near a 1:1.

(Also, apologies for posting in bugs, should have been in discussions --- did not mean to suggest new brake implementations are a bug --- I'm actually very interested in using them)

#8 User is offline   copperpen 

• Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 08 December 2014 - 10:13 AM

Peter

When I uncouple I have to re-initialise the brake system, but unless I use the F5 brake info page I do not see the Emergency brake indication. The only thing visible in the first page of the Hud is a change in the pressures of the BC, BP and EOTBP. The EQ does not change nor does the brake state indication. Re-initialise is closing the end cock and resetting the brake line pressures as it should do. However if the Brake state page is opened, it is clear that the whole train is in emergency brake state and the Main res is empty.

I also find that unless I actually disconnect a hose, I am unable to close any cocks using the car operations window. I should be able to close them before removing the air hose connection.

#9 User is offline   R H Steele 

Posted 08 December 2014 - 08:26 PM

I am having problems closing the angle cocks, it always shows on the screen as angle cock open or something like that - anyway it always displays as open - never closed. I tried to find new instructions, will keep searching, they gotta be on elvas in one of the threads, no? maybe? (using X2685)

edit: I'm rereading this thread>>> http://www.elvastowe...es/page__st__90 and ATW does not appear to be having trouble, so it's a piglet problem. The whole toggling business does not seem to be working for me. Is this another railroad curiousity like "A" for decaccelerate and "D" for accelerate? :rolleyes: Oh Well, something new to learn and struggle with. I need a little more jolly, i think.

#10 User is offline   ATW 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS Open Rails

Posted 08 December 2014 - 10:55 PM

Problem I see an suggestion is the brake info hud needs to be divided into something that doesn't over lap under screen in car number or have a scroll for us to spot all car info.

Another thing is the open angle cock message keeps saying the same thing whether closed or open but the hud info with A for front an B for rear of car is helpful that shows + for open an - for closed an A- must be shown from front of train to rear of train B- to be considered a good air test an all + in between.

Did I mention that my cut away cars when broke into two become a run away while my headend goes emergency only?

Time to test out in a switching act.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users