• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Open Rails Cabs Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   charliesibaja 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Switchman
  • Simulator:msts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 08:59 AM

Hi, how I can do to use my cabs (SHR collection) in the correct view direction in Open Rails?

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: sd40-2cab.jpg

#2 User is offline   thegrindre 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & Trainz '04 & Open Rails

Posted 16 November 2014 - 09:05 AM

What you do for MSTS will be the same for ORTS.
ORTS reads all MSTS files so what you do for MSTS will work in ORTS.

:pleasantry:

#3 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant

Posted 16 November 2014 - 12:03 PM

View Postcharliesibaja, on 16 November 2014 - 08:59 AM, said:

Hi, how I can do to use my cabs (SHR collection) in the correct view direction in Open Rails?

Not enough information, the queation is not clear.

Do you mean the actual view direction, or how does one switch cabs.

The viewing position and direction is handled by the following statements near the beginning of the CVF.

"Position ( -1 2.7 10.8 )"
The ( -1 2.7 10.8 ) being the distance in metres for left/right,height, for/aft from loco's centre point.
In the example, the viewing position is 1 metre left of centre, 2.7 metres above the rail and 10.8 metres forward of the centre.

"Direction ( 0 2.2 0 )"
Actual view direction, the firgures are 1st left right, 2nd up/down, for most loco's these willbe all zeros.

There are three sets of these figures in the CVF, these are for the forwrad, left then right views.

Lindsay

#4 User is offline   JohnnyS 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OR/MSTS

Posted 16 November 2014 - 01:55 PM

View PostLindsayts, on 16 November 2014 - 12:03 PM, said:

"Direction ( 0 2.2 0 )"
Actual view direction, the firgures are 1st left right, 2nd up/down, for most loco's these willbe all zeros.

Hello, The Steam4me tutorial disagrees..

Direction ( x y z ) provides the direction the camera is pointing: the axes x, y, z are numbers (between -180 and +180) in degrees where 0 is straight ahead and

"x" is view up (negative) or down (positive) in degrees from the initial eyepoint ;
"y" is view left (negative) and right (positive) from the initial eyepoint (so left is -90, right is 90, rearview is 180);
"z" is view as if you have a head tilt (positive you tilt your "head" right, negative you tilt your "head" left; this z value is probably best left at 0 (zero).

#5 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 16 November 2014 - 02:07 PM

Hi Charlie,

first of all, thanks for your great series of SHR cabs. I really like it and am using it on most all the locomotives I have installed, if they are somehow applicable :)

Secondly, what are your settings for Viewing FOV in the Videos tab of ORTS' options menu? You need to get them to something like in MSTS. The problem is, if you choose a FOV (field of view - think, the angle a camera records of what it looks at) too high, a larger area of the world will be displayed on the same scree-space as with a lower FOV. In fact, this will distort the world. The cabview, which is only a 2D overlay over the actual 3D world, will not be affected by this, thus will at times cover more or less of the "outside world".

Try experimenting with the mouse wheel (this should change the FOV, though I´m not sure if it works in the cabview). Once you get a correctly looking image on thr screen, remember the value shown, and change ORTS' Viewing FOV accordingly (if that does nto work, setting the correct Viewing FOV will be down to trial and error).

Hope that helps,

Cheers, Markus

#6 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant

Posted 16 November 2014 - 09:51 PM

View PostJohnnyS, on 16 November 2014 - 01:55 PM, said:

Hello, The Steam4me tutorial disagrees..

Oops, you are correct........... :-(

#7 User is offline   JohnnyS 

• Conductor

Posted 17 November 2014 - 01:59 AM

View Postmarkus_GE, on 16 November 2014 - 02:07 PM, said:

Hi Charlie,

first of all, thanks for your great series of SHR cabs. I really like it and am using it on most all the locomotives I have installed, if they are somehow applicable :)

Secondly, what are your settings for Viewing FOV in the Videos tab of ORTS' options menu? You need to get them to something like in MSTS. The problem is, if you choose a FOV (field of view - think, the angle a camera records of what it looks at) too high, a larger area of the world will be displayed on the same scree-space as with a lower FOV. In fact, this will distort the world. The cabview, which is only a 2D overlay over the actual 3D world, will not be affected by this, thus will at times cover more or less of the "outside world".

Try experimenting with the mouse wheel (this should change the FOV, though I´m not sure if it works in the cabview). Once you get a correctly looking image on thr screen, remember the value shown, and change ORTS' Viewing FOV accordingly (if that does nto work, setting the correct Viewing FOV will be down to trial and error).

Hope that helps,

Cheers, Markus

Hi Markus,

The mouse wheel adjustment doesn't work with cabview camera, only external views. Also, if I recall correctly the field of view for a 4:3 MSTS cabview specified in the camcfg.dat is 60, according to the video options in OR the equivalent FOV for 16:9 is 45...
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7559/15624906407_3a1c1cd7aa_o.jpg
...yet some (not all) cabviews still need the direction parameter to be adjusted to avoid looking up/down or left/right too much. Perhaps the cabview stretch setting and the trimmed area to allow for cab motion/tilt also has some influence on the end result?

MfG,
John.

#8 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 17 November 2014 - 10:37 AM

:) for educating us on this, John. I really didn´t recall anymore.

Oh, and yes, ORTS will tell you approximate claculations of which FOV is what on which aspect ration, which can be practical to get things to look like they should :wtf01:

Cheers, Markus

#9 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 17 November 2014 - 12:36 PM

View Postcharliesibaja, on 16 November 2014 - 08:59 AM, said:

This also may help: http://msts.steam4me...ls/cabview.html

I used it to correct the view direction in my GG-1's

regards,

vince

#10 User is offline   JohnnyS 

• Conductor

Posted 18 November 2014 - 03:52 PM

Something was lurking in the recesses of my mind, as a short term solution the cabview can be adjusted on the fly.

Found a cabview with an upward looking point of view.
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7570/15821003991_ef6b799ca9_o.jpg

Some small taps of the up arrow key followed by pressing the 9 key gave something more acceptable.
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5608/15203462283_182918370c_o.jpg

If your cabview points downwards, tap the down arrow key.

A little bit of trial and error is probably required. If your trying this yourself and get all out of sync, ctrl+8 resets the camera.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users