• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Automatic control of locomotive by the Computer Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   Matej Pacha 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 11 November 2014 - 05:29 AM

mauried, on 09 November 2014 - 06:39 PM, said:

MSTS had a little documented feature called Introductory Train Ride mode where the Player Train
was driven by an AI Engineer.
ie it simply made the player train an AI train, but the train was still called the Player Train.
There are a lot of benefits in being able to do this in route debugging.
Firstly, it allows you to ride in the cab and watch whats going on.
You can watch the track monitor and see what the signals ahead are showing and
it allows fault finding where you dont have to sit at the computer for long periods of time waiting
until you get to a particular location in the route.
The feature in MSTS was enabled by changing 1 variable in the Activity script.
Whether this is possible in OR I dont know, but if it can easily be coded in , its a really useful feature to have.
The line in the Activity File which enables the feature is this one
Mode ( 2 ), which has to be changed to Mode ( 0 ) for Introductory Ride Mode.

What about the "Replay" feature? You can record a ride and then you can just watch. Since we don't have any ORTS content (as MSTS does), there is no intrudoctory mode, but you can create one.

Matej

#12 User is offline   Matej Pacha 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 11 November 2014 - 05:43 AM

gpz, on 08 November 2014 - 07:52 AM, said:

I am in a process of implementing Railworks-like engine scripting, which actually allows writing of an automatic speed control script, although I have not written such a script yet. Actually such a scripting already works on my computer, but I am waiting with starting the discussion about this API until the waves around 1.0 release are flattened. This scripting interface unifies the current TCS interface (replaces it) with the ability of overriding existing MSTS cabview controls input data, issuing any locomotive command currently available built-in in OpenRails, overriding controls (e.g. throttle) without modifying their positions (like a real-world on-board speed controlling does), and defining per-locomotive custom controls in a custom keymap. These custom controls would be (at a later time) exposed to the animation handling subroutines, so that custom animations could be hooked onto them. These mostly work already for me, but it is not a good time to come out with such proposals now. I just wanted to inform you, to avoid parallel efforts. :Neeeedsleeep:

Well, your efforts will be highly appreciated! I'll be happy to transfer the control algorithms to your script. But are you able to add a keyboard assignment? Or to control the brake system?
Thanks,
Matej

#13 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 11 November 2014 - 07:21 AM

Yes for both. In current form a custom keymap can be created for a locomotive in json format. This keymap can contain built-in keyboard commands for being able to remap them onto a different key, and can also contain custom control names, which ones are available to use in the custom script for whatever function needed. The script can take over control on the brake controller, and is able to adjust the brake line pressure directly. In fact the latter can also be done with the existing brake control scripting interface, but it is in its current form is not enough for a full speed control. I think our decision with the splitted scripting APIs was wrong, and must be amended by merging them into a single one. This will be needed because different types of scriptable controls need functions that are already available in an other set. Fortunately there are only a very limited number of scripts exist yet, so it is not a hard decision to step on this way.

#14 User is offline   Rohit 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, Open Rails

Posted 13 April 2015 - 01:39 AM

Sir,

It is observed from the beginning that if we switch over to auto pilot mode, the train is always running behind the schedule considerably. is there any solution for that?. Also the reversal of the locomotive and attaching it to the other end of the train is not done by the auto pilot......Also the speed pick up and braking when in auto pilot mode is totally unrealistic. we may have to look into that also.........i congratulate the developers for introducing more and more sophisticated features on to Open rails so that the simulator becomes more and more close to reality. Kindly note down and rectify the above limitations.

#15 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 14 April 2015 - 12:54 AM

Rohit,
thank you for appreciation.
I haven't the experience that the train is always running behind the schedule considerably. Maybe when the player drives the train he does not consider speed limits? :)
If reversals are within the path, they are executed. Loco uncoupling instead is not executed, because it is not within the path; OR obviously cannot interpret activity message where it is written "Now uncouple the loco". You have to press CTRL/A there, uncouple the loco, and then press CTRL/A again. Coupling instead occurs automatically, if the path is well behaved.
Referring to the use of throttle and brakes, it has been explained some times (also in the first post of the "Autopilot Mode" thread), that when the train is autopiloted, it behaves like an AI train, and AI trains behave like that. Autopilot mode is not a cruise control, which is a much more sophisticated feature that maybe will be implemented beyond release 1.0.

#16 User is offline   Rohit 

• Conductor

Posted 14 April 2015 - 05:54 AM

Thank You Sir.....................

#17 User is offline   Rohit 

• Conductor

Posted 14 April 2015 - 07:42 AM

Regarding the speed limits...it is found that the time table is not prepared as per the speed limits in MSTS AE.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users