Elvas Tower: Loading error System.InvalidOperationException - Elvas Tower

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Loading error System.InvalidOperationException Advice sorely needed Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 26 October 2014 - 07:50 AM

A good friend has installed Open Rails (using the Simple Download installer which currently provides X2194).

When exploring the first path on the default Settle & Carlisle route - Appleby-Carlisle - the path fails to load with the message:

Error: System.InvalidOperationException: This device does not support 32-bit indices. Use IndexElementSize.SixteenBits or a type that has a size of two bytes.
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.IndexBuffer.CreateBuffer(UInt32 dwSize, UInt32 typeSize, UInt32 usage, _D3DPOOL pool)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.IndexBuffer..ctor(GraphicsDevice graphicsDevice, Int32 sizeInBytes, BufferUsage usage, IndexElementSize elementSize)
at ORTS.Viewer3D.PrecipitationPrimitive.InitIndexBuffer(GraphicsDevice graphicsDevice, Int32 numIndicies) in c:\Users\James\Documents\Coding\Jenkins
etc.

(see OpenRailsLog.txt attached).Attached File  OpenRailsLog.txt (9.82K)
Number of downloads: 162 The system is 32-bit Windows 7.

I note that a very similar issue was reported in the Bug Tracker back in August for exploring Marias Pass but no one has responded to that report yet.

Could it be a problem with installing XNA?

#2 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 27 October 2014 - 01:10 AM

View Postcjakeman, on 26 October 2014 - 07:50 AM, said:

Error: System.InvalidOperationException: This device does not support 32-bit indices. Use IndexElementSize.SixteenBits or a type that has a size of two bytes.

(see OpenRailsLog.txt attached).Attachment OpenRailsLog.txt The system is 32-bit Windows 7.

I note that a very similar issue was reported in the Bug Tracker back in August for exploring Marias Pass but no one has responded to that report yet.

Could it be a problem with installing XNA?

This is a problem that occurred in versions from X2192 though X2269 (fixed in bug 1314363). If you update to any newer version, the problem should not happen.

#3 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 27 October 2014 - 10:59 AM

View PostJames Ross, on 27 October 2014 - 01:10 AM, said:

This is a problem that occurred in versions from X2192 though X2269 (fixed in bug 1314363). If you update to any newer version, the problem should not happen.

Thanks for that link - seems pretty clear.

I guess creating an installer based on X2194 has turned out to be a really bad idea. And we get 800-900 downloads a week of this installer. I wonder how many of those users have got stuck and given up?

I'll make a new installer which is 20 or so versions below the latest to avoid another "show-stoppers".

#4 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 27 October 2014 - 12:44 PM

View Postcjakeman, on 27 October 2014 - 10:59 AM, said:

Thanks for that link - seems pretty clear.

I guess creating an installer based on X2194 has turned out to be a really bad idea. And we get 800-900 downloads a week of this installer. I wonder how many of those users have got stuck and given up?

I'll make a new installer which is 20 or so versions below the latest to avoid another "show-stoppers".

My plan is to build the installer weekly with the ZIP download but I have to figure out how to build the code in the cloud first, since the installers are massive and I don't have good upload speed.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users