• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Saving an Activity Why Does It Take So Long? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   atsf37l 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 15 October 2014 - 11:15 PM

Running Build 2591 - Same problem earlier with 2578 - Major issue with 2460 - Around 2554 seemed to be much better.

I'm running freight operations on the Rio Grande Southern, taking merchandise and empties out of Durango and making the run to Dolores, doing the mine work at Franklin Jct. and Hesperus along the way. As a reference:
Attached Image: Map-Load Screen.jpg

Early on while I'm working the high-object count-crashes-a-lot Durango yard and saving every couple of minutes the saves take maybe 5 seconds before the sim is usable again. By the time I finish working the mines at Hesperus, some 3 and one half hours later, saves are now taking over 30 seconds. What I'm saying is that save times seem to be cumulative - the longer you run the longer it takes to save the activity.

2460 was real bad at this - over 5 minutes to save after about 5 hours of running - which can be real aggravating when you've already run past a reasonable bedtime and you're trying to shut down the PC!

With the improved functionality of being able to fast forward the clock from sunset to sunrise it is now possible to run three DAY runs from Ridgway to Telluride to Rico and return in a single activity but how long will it take to save the game after 48 hours or so????

Sorry guys, I just keep finding stuff! :rolleyes: :bigboss:

#2 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 16 October 2014 - 12:44 AM

View Postatsf37l, on 15 October 2014 - 11:15 PM, said:

Early on while I'm working the high-object count-crashes-a-lot Durango yard and saving every couple of minutes the saves take maybe 5 seconds before the sim is usable again. By the time I finish working the mines at Hesperus, some 3 and one half hours later, saves are now taking over 30 seconds. What I'm saying is that save times seem to be cumulative - the longer you run the longer it takes to save the activity.

2460 was real bad at this - over 5 minutes to save after about 5 hours of running - which can be real aggravating when you've already run past a reasonable bedtime and you're trying to shut down the PC!

Yeah, this is one of my annoyances too. I'm not certain (I haven't profiled it) but at least the replay system has a continually expanding list of things to save, so that could be what's getting slower. We should definitely see if we can speed it up. :rolleyes: (I don't think changing the time makes any difference to the save time, it's game run time and/or user interactions.)

#3 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 16 October 2014 - 02:11 AM

Saving data for replay could become an option. It is an often used feature?

#4 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 16 October 2014 - 02:41 AM

View PostCsantucci, on 16 October 2014 - 02:11 AM, said:

Saving data for replay could become an option. It is an often used feature?

It's amazingly useful when you need it, and I don't think I would have known I needed it before I made the save.

We should at least wait until we know if this is the cause of the slower saves or not before making any changes.

#5 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 16 October 2014 - 10:34 AM

View PostJames Ross, on 16 October 2014 - 12:44 AM, said:

Yeah, this is one of my annoyances too. I'm not certain (I haven't profiled it) but at least the replay system has a continually expanding list of things to save, so that could be what's getting slower. We should definitely see if we can speed it up. :rolleyes: (I don't think changing the time makes any difference to the save time, it's game run time and/or user interactions.)

Might it be feasible to spawn a new thread with a "bulk" copy of all the game data? Once the data is provided the game could continue and the new thread would have everything it needs to sort thru and figure out what to write to our very slow disks.

Might data held and manipulated in individual methods could be kept secure if the methods would write and return key values as global "SaveFile<parametername>()".

#6 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President

Posted 16 October 2014 - 12:23 PM

It rather makes me wonder what really is causing the slow saves.

Just a few route stats on the route I am presently using most :
  • total track length : just over 4.000 km (according to mosaic), fully signalled
  • running a 24 hour timetable totalling just over 1500 defined trains (not counting stable runs etc.)
  • generally 50-100 active trains at any time during daytime hours
  • runs lasting up to 4 or 5 hours

Despite this, a save at the end of such a 4-hour run still only takes less than half a minute - certainly not 5 minutes.

The save data mainly contains 'active' items like signal and track states, train states and positions etc.
Clearly, there is plenty of that in this route.
The route does not really have any scenery details, but that would not be included in the save anyway.
A typical save file is about 12 or 13 Mbyte.

So, for those 5 minutes saves, what is the size of the generated save file?

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#7 User is offline   atsf37l 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 16 October 2014 - 06:32 PM

The longest saves I encountered were back with Build 2460. The last one took about 5 minutes. I began running the activity at Rico at 8:20 AM and the last save was at 3:12 PM, doubling Dallas Divide from Placerville. The save shows 3943 KB. :sweatingbullets:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users