• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

High Frame Rates and Heat! Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   thegrindre 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & Trainz '04 & Open Rails

Posted 10 October 2014 - 06:39 AM

I can't use a 60hrz monitor and have mine set to 85hrz. I don't seem to have any issues as Herb has, tho.
I don't think a default in this department is a good idea. There are too many who won't benefit from it. Making it an option to adjust is a better idea, IMO.

:buffalobill:

:oldstry:

#12 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:02 AM

thegrindre, on 10 October 2014 - 06:39 AM, said:

I can't use a 60hrz monitor and have mine set to 85hrz. I don't seem to have any issues as Herb has, tho.
I don't think a default in this department is a good idea. There are too many who won't benefit from it. Making it an option to adjust is a better idea, IMO.

I don't follow your logic here. AFAIK if you're not managing to make 60FPS (or 85FPS in your case) enabling the option does nothing, and it reduces excess work/load if you are exceeding that. Why would enabling it by default (you'd still be able to turn it off) be a problem for you or others?

#13 User is online   dennisat 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails & MSTS

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:38 AM

James Ross, on 10 October 2014 - 02:40 AM, said:

I believe it makes no difference if you're not managing to get 60FPS at all, and only a small difference if you're straddling the boundary.

Nvidia have an "adaptive" vsync option which enforces vsync when you're above the monitor refresh rate and disables vsync if you fall below. This seems to give the best of both worlds? I use this and it gives excellent results.

Dennis

#14 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 10 October 2014 - 09:14 AM

James Ross, on 10 October 2014 - 07:02 AM, said:

I don't follow your logic here. AFAIK if you're not managing to make 60FPS (or 85FPS in your case) enabling the option does nothing, and it reduces excess work/load if you are exceeding that. Why would enabling it by default (you'd still be able to turn it off) be a problem for you or others?

IIRC when you have enabled vsync you get one of the following frame rates: 60, 30, 15, 7, 3, 1 because if the software cannot make it to the higher number the sync rate is halved.

If that is the case then using vsync when you are always above 60 will be a good move... keeps things cooler but if you are normally running at, say, 45fps, having vsync on should drop fps down to 30 because 45 < 60.

OTOH, if it always works like Dennis says it does for nVidia chips, then ignore the above, default is ok.

#15 User is offline   Mike B 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:Mostly ORTS these days

Posted 10 October 2014 - 10:14 AM

I have GTX750i video, and in the video control panel I can't find a setting for vsync. Any idea where to find it? I do remember having that available for the old ATI card but never used it - no need with the low frame rates it was capable of.

Currently using ORTS x2554 (updated early this week). From the "pre-1.0" stable (x2194 I think) to about x23nn, I was getting a reported frame rate of 90-150 on most routes (yes, I have a 75 hz display so that was overkill) and smooth animation. Starting about 2 updates ago (x23something), frame rates dropped a bit (still in the 80s-about 100 most of the time) but I started getting hiccups similar to the old MSTS disk-reading pauses, especially if there is scenery (such as a building) very close to the tracks. Happens commonly on Bob Wirth's routes in Texas (Waynoka and Hereford Subs) when going through a town. For the record, I'm not getting unusual heat from the system or the GPU per Speedfan or CPU/GPU-Z.

#16 User is online   dennisat 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails & MSTS

Posted 10 October 2014 - 10:14 AM

Genma Saotome, on 10 October 2014 - 09:14 AM, said:

OTOH, if it always works like Dennis says it does for nVidia chips, then ignore the above, default is ok.

Adaptive is selectable. You have three options - vsync off, on, or adaptive. I assume "on" results in the effects you describe - I've only ever used adaptive.

Dennis

Edit - I'm 2,000 miles from my OR PC at the moment so I can't run a comparison.

#17 User is offline   disc 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 10 October 2014 - 10:53 AM

Genma Saotome, on 10 October 2014 - 09:14 AM, said:

IIRC when you have enabled vsync you get one of the following frame rates: 60, 30, 15, 7, 3, 1 because if the software cannot make it to the higher number the sync rate is halved.

No. Vsync just syncs the appearing images to the monitor's refreshes. The frame rates can be 57, 19, 27 or any number.

#18 User is offline   atsf37l 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 10 October 2014 - 10:55 AM

Mike, I couldn't find it either on my GTX 275. I hope Dennis can point us in the right direction.

In regards the default option, looking back at 2460 the default for vsync is "on". Somewhere along that binary line it got turned to "off". I tried 2460 with vsync off and the frame rates remained in the 60 range so the "improvement" in FPS was sometime after that release. Again, I'm going to be away from my computer for a while so I can't check other versions on this box until next week. :buffalobill:

#19 User is offline   atsf37l 

Posted 10 October 2014 - 11:27 AM

Mike, and world, I found it. Just have to scroll down - DOH! Nvidia Control Panel:
Attached Image: Nvidia Settings.jpg

:buffalobill:

#20 User is offline   atsf37l 

Posted 10 October 2014 - 11:53 AM

For the NVidia user, this change totally removes the problem. Checked or unchecked the FPS runs at 60, sometimes dipping into the mid 50's, and the box runs cool.

Great tip, Dennis. Thanks!

How about you ATI users out there? Any ideas for enabling vsync? :buffalobill:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users