• You cannot reply to this topic

Rain/Fog Tree Ghosts appears to be background leaking through Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 07 October 2014 - 09:39 AM

This is probably something that is known about. Just caught my eye. Running with autumn rain and fog on. LHRV 1968 route. (By the way - kudos to whomever did work on the fog - VERY nice, realistic appearance.)
Appears that some background landscape treescape element is leaking through to the foreground. Don't know how else to describe it.
Log attached, see screenshots.

My first thought was that this is specific to the construction of the route, nothing OR can change.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: Image00001.jpg
  • Attached Image: Image00002.jpg
  • Attached Image: Image00003.jpg

Attached File(s)

#2 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 07 October 2014 - 11:30 AM

Blending is hard. :goodnight:

#3 User is offline   c36dash7 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Inactive

Posted 07 October 2014 - 11:54 AM

Comment : As part of the work involved in merging many older MSTS Routes, to create a current large-sized project , I personally did work on the Lehigh Valley Route , version 3, which (original ) route, was an early / pioneering effort, for MSTS ( and possibly even before MSTSBin) , and yes, I did run into endless "ghost" type of issues, primarily from forest blocks.

Therefore, my guess is that I would look first , at what may possibly be done, with the Route itself..., and not specifically consider this an Open Rails issue, or something that Open Rails is not set up for rendering properly.

For the record, I have absolutely no idea if there is any fix, or solutions, to offset those Forest blocks "ghost-like" phenomenas, on some earlier MSTS Routes.

Also, as an FYI, Yes, there were some forest blocks ( on the Lehigh Valley MSTS Route ), which outright 'spanned" across the tracks, with trains actually entering ... into the forest blocks, themselves.

Although most of those older routes still are classics, and real gems, there is a need for doing some additional work, in Route Editor, to make them fully compatible with current MSTS / Open Rails standards, and expectations .

Jean Brisson Route Builder

#4 User is offline   R H Steele 

Posted 07 October 2014 - 03:59 PM

Thanks Jean, that's very enlightening. I thought it was probably not something "buggy" in OR. Nor, did I consider it something wrong or incorrect with the route. I thought it was some function never properly implemented or simple to do in the Route Editor. Considering the quirks and eccentricities of the Route Editor I am constantly amazed at the quality of the routes. The Lehigh Valley routes are among my favorites.

(thanks James - "blending" for the proper terminology)

#5 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 08 October 2014 - 12:21 AM

View PostR H Steele, on 07 October 2014 - 03:59 PM, said:

Thanks Jean, that's very enlightening. I thought it was probably not something "buggy" in OR. Nor, did I consider it something wrong or incorrect with the route. I thought it was some function never properly implemented or simple to do in the Route Editor. Considering the quirks and eccentricities of the Route Editor I am constantly amazed at the quality of the routes. The Lehigh Valley routes are among my favorites.

(thanks James - "blending" for the proper terminology)

I should perhaps elaborate: as far as the picture goes (I have not attempted to reproduce the issue locally yet), this is definitely an Open Rails bug. But, as I alluded to in my earlier post, the area of likely cause is one which is tricky to get right (and sometimes effectively impossible).

#6 User is offline   disc 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 08 October 2014 - 01:31 AM

I think we should forget the 2D shapes with blending, and start creating 3D trees (while careing about the drawcall number).

#7 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 October 2014 - 12:33 PM

View Postdisc, on 08 October 2014 - 01:31 AM, said:

I think we should forget the 2D shapes with blending, and start creating 3D trees (while careing about the drawcall number).

That could be an interesting topic for another thread, perhaps over in one of the modeling forums. Care to start it?

WRT the reported problem here... it is an OR bug and should be in the bug log.

#8 User is offline   R H Steele 

Posted 08 October 2014 - 04:51 PM

View Postdisc, on 08 October 2014 - 01:31 AM, said:

Very Big :) for that suggestion. I know it was a product of the times, but the trees in MSTS always reminded me of a set of early 20th century cardboard cut-outs that my grandmother kept in the toy chest. They were two flat pieces of shape (apple trees and other plant stuff) that had notches cut in them. To make the 3D shape you slid them together at the notch and stood them up. I really think that is a crude way to make a 3D shape. However, I realize you have to consider the physical demand placed upon hardware and software that attempts to make realistic 3D shapes that create the proper illusion of space and volume.

#9 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 09 October 2014 - 12:12 AM

Something for OR version 3, perhaps, or a Tree Simulator? :-)

Cheers Bazza

#10 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 09 October 2014 - 12:14 AM

PS I did have a tree maker for my modeling prog, but it wasn't suitable for MSTS because even a simple 3d tree was very hi-poly.

Cheers Bazza

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users