• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Today's Open Rails I Must Admit, I Am Impressed! Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   jared2982 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:MSTS, TS2017, OR

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:23 PM

Looking at Herbs provided log file the errors at the bottom lead right to the problem. The crew car. We have been using these in the narrow gauge world to cut polys on locos that are forever increasing in detail. OR just does not like the way they are setup. It also does not like Bazza's .eng cabeese.

#12 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:17 AM

Yes, definitely the crewcar and the caboose. The crew car I suspect is the cause of disappearing wheels with the NG stock, and the Nan HUD display is most probably caused by the Bazza-motion caboose eng file. It might also be caused by the leading eng file if that does not have a sufficiently sized boiler parameter.

Looking at the ATSF Super Chief I tried the Cajon consist and the wheels did not disappear, so it looks like there is something else in Herbs' consist that is the cause.

#13 User is offline   atsf37l 

• Simulator:ORTS

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:01 PM

Nope, I think we've found the problem. The Super Chief, not the stock Super Chief but MY Super Chief has a nice steam leak on the rear from the steam heating lines. Means I've changed the observation to an .eng file in order to get the steam effects. OK, that was a "nice to have" under MSTS but it has to be changed back to a .wag style observation.

More testing shall ensue but it appears that it was my failure to adapt my equipment to OR causing most if not all of the problems.

And I still like the way it looks!

But hey, what's with the whistle steam? Looks like a trail of bubbles. :victory: :bigboss:

#14 User is offline   jared2982 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:MSTS, TS2017, OR

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:32 PM

More OR issues. I'm not bothering to try and adjust it yet as there is a lot of discussion going on about steam exhaust lately. If you want to play with it you can adjust the nozle size for a better look. I guess I need to start making a few modifications for testing but I really don't have the time to keep up with it all.

#15 User is offline   copperpen 

• Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:06 PM

Herb

Just make sure there is a big enough boiler statement in the eng file and set it up as a tank engine. Should work then.

#16 User is offline   atsf37l 

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:59 PM

Cancel all alerts! Every problem noted yesterday has been resolved. The Super Chief leaving KCUT after repairs to the observation:
Attached Image: Super Chief leaving KCUT.jpg

Marceline Sub v1.0 never looked better! It was all .eng files and crewcars and such that needed to be modified to work properly in ORTS.

OK, I'm rolling now. Time to put together an entirely separate train simulator folder just for ORTS.......

#17 User is offline   cr-stagg 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 22 August 2014 - 06:12 AM

It was all .eng files and crewcars and such that needed to be modified to work properly in ORTS.

What exactly were the adjustments, Herb?

#18 User is offline   atsf37l 

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:36 AM

An old MSTS trick for having steam leaks at the end of a steam-heated passenger train, smoking caboose stack, that sort of thing was to use an .eng file and the FX section to make it happen. OR won't reconcile .eng files with anything but a valid engine. So Those rear end cars had to be converted back to .wag files.

As to the crewcars, this was a solution for MSTS to put a crew in a cab when you have already used the FreightAnim lines in the engine and tender for other things. It requires zeroing out the length of the crewcar to fit seamlessly between the engine and tender. OR wants that space open so in order to run those engines in OR you have to cut the crewcar out of the consist. This won't be a problem in the long run cuz with OR you don't have to split high detail models in two in order to get them to load and we can put the two halves back together and either FA the crew or make them part of the original shape to begin with.

Hope that's clear.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users