Open Rails does not adapt signals... Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Totte 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:23 AM

Hello!
Open Rails does not adapt Swedish and Norwegian signals. :shock6:
If Norwegian signals I see in several places driveway with the signal showing the next stop signal, then I pass it and begin to slow the train and exit signal suddenly show choir. That can not be.
If our Swedish signals are crazy in some places, I'm running from Öxnered against Trollhattan, signal before entering show running 40 instead of 110 Inbound shows 70 before the station.

#2 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:19 PM

Working of signals is defined in sigscr.dat, the signals itself are defined in sigcfg.dat.
OR itself does not actually adapt to any signals - the scripting as defined in sigscr.dat is all that is used.
The syntax for sigscr.dat was defined by MSTS, but many scripts exceed this syntax using c-like statements.
ORTS does not support all those extentions. Please check your log-file to see if any warnings are issued for statements in the sigscr.dat file. If so, please upload that logfile here so we can advice how to act on this.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#3 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 17 August 2014 - 05:52 AM

In numerous routes I´m encountering a very similar issue, with a signal showing "Approach 30" and the following one, thus, "Stop". Yet, when I pass the "Approach 30", the signal ahead suddenly changes to "Proceed".

If that also describes your problem (I´m not familiar with the Swedish signaling language), you might be able to resolve the problem the same way I have been able to get it working.

In a route´s folder, you can find many .DAT files, two of which define the signal system: scrscr and sigcfg. The first is the actual scripting, which don´t want to mess with if you don´t know exactly how it works and if it isn´t necessary. The second one defines the signals themselves, IE which aspects they can show, which speed limits they can imply, and among many more things, when they change their aspect WRT other signals further down the line. This is defined in the line
SignalNumClearAhead ( 4 )

IOW, the value in brackets defines how many signal blocks ahead of the signal will be cleared. The signal at the end of the last block cleared is ,logically, always set to stop. So, the signals before that last signal will show the normal approach sequence, to warn the driver. In an American system, that would be, in reversed direction (starting from the stop signal backwards): STOP - APPROACH - ADVANCE APPROACH - PROCEED - PROCEED - ...
So, depending on how many APPROACH indications your signal system shows before a red / stop, you need to clear at least that number plus one (1) signals ahead of it, in order to really get a green signal when you should get one. With the sequence of signals I showed above, that value for SignalNumClearAhead would be at least 3, but to be really safe, I´m using 4.

So, what to do - I assume, you know the Swedish signalling system. Thus, you should be able to say how many warning signals an engineer (a driver) gets before encountering a stop. Take that number, add one or two, and replace the values in all SignalNumClearAhead statements with that number just found. You can leave out lines where the original value is higher than the one you calculated. Also, don´t fprget to back up the signcfg file first (simple copy and paste to the route´s folder again).

Cheers, Markus

#4 User is offline   eugenR 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:47 AM

There is one important difference between MSTS and OR for:

SignalNumClearAhead ( 4 )

MSTS use for all Signals of the Route the greatest valour found by any of the signaltype-Definitions in the Sigcfg.dat
OR use for each signal his own definition in the signaltype-Definition

#5 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:50 PM

True, forgot to mention that.

And, of course it can have consequences. You may find that, at times, setting a value that is still lower than the maximum SignalNumClearAhead found in the file, will still result in problems. The solution is the obvious, change all SignalNumClearAheads to that maximum value. Backup first, of course.

Cheers, Markus

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users