• You cannot reply to this topic

Open Rails settings survey Rate Topic: -----

#41 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:25 AM

View PostLindsayts, on 26 August 2014 - 05:56 PM, said:

Windowsize has a potential to give an improper/incomplete answer as OR does not specify any monitor size greater than 1920x1200. I use 2560x1600 and in Melbourne these days the new 4K monitors are now availible for under $700 australian.

The options in the drop-down are irrelevant for this - it reports exactly what people have set - but it is only for non-full screen mode. I will break out full screen vs. window size later. We currently do not log the full screen resolution or any platform details like Dave wants.

#42 User is offline   disc 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 27 August 2014 - 01:12 AM

View PostGenma Saotome, on 26 August 2014 - 03:42 PM, said:

I was quite surprised to see so little use of extended view distance. Could that be due to limitations is favored routes more than personal choices? A few others may well be from lack of understanding/documentation/too new to know about rather than not valued.

On routes which i use, there are already 2000+ draw calls at the less populated places (and the game is CPU limited), at most populated places there are ~9000 draw calls(with instancing enabled), so higher viewing distance than 2000 would render the game to a slideshow. And i rather use ShadowAllShapes, than higher view distance. Anyway, high view distance is needed only for routes that have high buildings, for others the distant mountains are enough.

And of course the memory, at populated places the memory usage easily goes over 1400 mbytes, which causes constant stuttering(not low fps, the game periodically stops, and makes frametime spikes) even with LAA executable on 64bit system with more than 1 gbyte free ram. I don't know why this happens but as i see, the game starts with light stuttering above 800 mbyte memory usage, at 1400 mbyte it reaches the "really annoying" level. It's the worst on non summer activities as the game loads all summer textures, then the seasonal ones too.

#43 User is offline   dennisat 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails & MSTS

Posted 27 August 2014 - 01:37 AM

I would use Superelevation all the time if there was a dynamic track format for UK Finescale.

I know, I know, if you're that bothered, do it yourself.

I have looked at it but not being a model maker I haven't yet been able to work out how the UK Finescale textures should be mapped on to the default track format. I have a feeling that trying to use the default format is not possible, Finescale has more textures than the default track.

Dennis

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users