• You cannot reply to this topic

Documentation of experimental features Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Rogue 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS and Open Rails

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:35 AM

Hi,

I would like to make a proposal conc. the documention of experimental features or other features which are introduced.

I must admit that I'm missing some kind of an overview of all implemented features over the last months.
For example: within the last couple of days I spotted at least three newly introduced features...
- Adhesion
- Circuit Breaker
- KOSMOS Sky effects

In order to get some information for that, you must search the entire forum to find some information about it...
how things work, how to activate them, etc.
In most cases this information is scattered around in very long or different threads.

So my proposal is an implementation of a very small and simple Excel-Sheet, web-page, Doc-File whatsoever, where all these things are summarized in short words: What does the feature do (what will it do if fully implemented) and how can I activate it (keyboard, options-menue).

I know that all these features are just experimental features and still far away from a proper documentation, but just a small overview would be great.

If such a thing already exists, please forget my post :-)

Bests
Boris

#2 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:45 AM

Take a look at the sub-folder Documentation of your installation directory of ORTS. There seem to be quite a bit of things to read, though IDK how up-to-date the docs are.

Cheers, Markus

#3 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:42 AM

View PostRogue, on 14 August 2014 - 04:35 AM, said:

So my proposal is an implementation of a very small and simple Excel-Sheet, web-page, Doc-File whatsoever, where all these things are summarized in short words: What does the feature do (what will it do if fully implemented) and how can I activate it (keyboard, options-menue).

I know that all these features are just experimental features and still far away from a proper documentation, but just a small overview would be great.

If such a thing already exists, please forget my post :-)

I think this best fits on the wiki that we're currently trying to get up and running; I think it's currently hosted elsewhere and the link isn't prominent on the website, but we're working on it. ;)

#4 User is offline   Rogue 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS and Open Rails

Posted 15 August 2014 - 01:03 AM

View PostJames Ross, on 15 August 2014 - 12:42 AM, said:

I think this best fits on the wiki that we're currently trying to get up and running; I think it's currently hosted elsewhere and the link isn't prominent on the website, but we're working on it. ;)

Well, a Wiki would certainly be the best model for this kind of documentation :-)

#5 User is offline   Sid P. 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails / MSTS

Posted 06 September 2014 - 09:21 AM

Hi All,
I just noticed another discussion ("TCS Brakes" over on Trainsim.com about releasing brakes after an emergency brake application. People were wondering how to reset brakes, etc.

There is a "Golden" sticky posting on the "Open Rails" forum at Trainsim.com called "How Coupling Works in Open Rails" that contains very useful information that I have not encountered anywhere else in the OR documentation. I could not easily find the information anywhere else, and I suspect that many Elvas Tower members may not browse the Trainsim forums.
In particular, it was not in the last update to the Open Rails Operations Manual, and the "Shift ?" key does not appear in the listing of key commands.

Could a version of this text be added to the official documentation?

Another suggestion - could the "Operations Manual" include on one page the last date that it was updated? Old versions look the same as new ones...

Cheers,
Sid

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users