Elvas Tower: Adhesion - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Adhesion features and principles Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Matej Pacha 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 14 August 2014 - 02:47 AM

One of my debts to ORTS adhesion has been uploaded recently (in v2416). Now you are able to set the adhesion coefficient (quality of adhesion) in the Options/Experimental tab.
Description:
  • Adhesion factor correction - it gives you a possibility to change quality of wheel-to-rail contact. 130% means MSTS compatibile value, what enables you to pass the most of activities. 100% means "normal" conditions based on the most recent adhesion theory all around the world. If you are getting stuck because of adhesion, just set 200% and you will get very good adhesion for your trains. If you want some challenge, set it to 70% and watch your speedometer carefully.
  • Adhesion factor random change - for now very simple "noise" generator to the adhesion conditions - it will be upgraded in the future (e.g. based on location). The higher value is set the higher changes you will get. For the first try 0 to 20% is ok. Setting 100% is not very realistic - it's like at the oil/lubricant factory yard. This option IS NOT RECOMMENDED for those who experience low FPS (less than 30)!
  • Adhesion proportional to rain/snow/fog - if you prefer the adhesion changing with the rain/snow intensity and with fog density, then check this checkbox. The adhesion conditions will be worse if heavy rain is set. Again - it's up to you and the level of challenge you want play with.

If you are not familiar with these percentages, just change the values and watch the "level" label. I recommend you to stay within "normal" and "easy".

Have some fun!

Matej

#2 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:26 AM

View PostMatej Pacha, on 14 August 2014 - 02:47 AM, said:

• Adhesion proportional to rain/snow/fog - if you prefer the adhesion changing with the rain/snow intensity and with fog density, then check this checkbox. The adhesion conditions will be worse if heavy rain is set. Again - it's up to you and the level of challenge you want play with.

This is good, we should do this by default when we're happy this feature is performing correctly and reliably.

#3 User is offline   Matej Pacha 

• Engineer

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:12 AM

For now, I assume it's reasonable to keep this in the Experimental tab. My first version was using the Simulation tab, where it should go when aproved by the community. And you are free to investigate the best way for the computation, e.g. some look-up tables, day-time dependent (humidity is higher at night), season-dependent, etc.

Matej

#4 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:43 AM

Sounds like many of my activities will need an extra loco for the player train the next time I run them :pleasantry:

A cool addition, can´t wait to try it out :)

Cheers, Markus

#5 User is offline   strawberryfield 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails, Rail3D

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:45 AM

Hi Matej,
I have made a little change to your code to allow translation of the difficulty level strings.

#6 User is offline   eugenR 

• Conductor
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:58 AM

Hi Matej,
Thank You very much for the new feature "Adhesion".
Our grandson 7Years is now very happy with the OR, before he has had always problems with the wheel-slips!!!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users