• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

TGV Activity Dies in X2365 Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Sid P. 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails / MSTS

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:52 PM

The activity "Marseille-Nimes Special (Duplex) for the LGVMed 3.0 route ran OK in X2353, but dies with a "System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException:" error in X2365 at startup.
OpenrailsLog.txt attached.

Another activity for the same route - "Marseille-Nimes direct (Duplex) runs OK in X2365 - the starting location is different, and it is snowing in the activity that failed.

Cheers,
Sid

Attached File(s)

#2 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:46 PM

Fixed in X.2369. The .act file refers to a platform entry (51) that does not exist in the .tdb file (maybe it was built with a preceding version of the route), and OR was not protected against such mismatch.

#3 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:25 AM

Carlo, are you sure OR should really be protected against such a mismatch? Wouldn't such a fix just hide a real error, that would be better just to be kept to exit from the game?

Maybe a correct fix for this would just hide the detailed trace log, and display a human readable description about the problem, and exit.

#4 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:47 AM

View Postgpz, on 29 July 2014 - 12:25 AM, said:

Carlo, are you sure OR should really be protected against such a mismatch? Wouldn't such a fix just hide a real error, that would be better just to be kept to exit from the game?

Maybe a correct fix for this would just hide the detailed trace log, and display a human readable description about the problem, and exit.

I can't seem to get to the Subversion server to check if the fix provided is logging anything, but I would generally be happy with bad data causing either:

• A logged warning that it is being ignored/skipped
  • A specific but fatal error

There's no need to make things fatal if we can cope reasonably well, e.g. by ignoring the station stop, but it must log the data problem as a warning in that case. :buffalobill:

#5 User is offline   jbnx42 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Switchman
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 29 July 2014 - 03:23 AM

View PostJames Ross, on 29 July 2014 - 12:47 AM, said:

I can't seem to get to the Subversion server to check if the fix provided is logging anything, but I would generally be happy with bad data causing either:

• A logged warning that it is being ignored/skipped
  • A specific but fatal error

There's no need to make things fatal if we can cope reasonably well, e.g. by ignoring the station stop, but it must log the data problem as a warning in that case. :buffalobill:

As a software developer, I will chime in here.

Think of the end user, a non technical person who just wants to drive trains. Such a user should never see a dot net framework error. As James says, such a user should see a friendly fatal error, such as "The selected activity could not be loaded due to a defective activity definition. Please contact the author." This type of user need not know about warnings; they should be logged and swallowed.

Now there may be a more technical user such as an author, developer or other advanced user. For such a user, they may wish to see more detail. Perhaps a command line switch to alert them about initial problems that could appear on an opening dialog as soon as the activity finished loading, such as "15 warnings issued, 4 of them severe. See the log."

If not done already, such standards should be hashed out and published as firm guidelines for the project.

Thanks, John

#6 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 29 July 2014 - 03:34 AM

Passing from theory to the practical case, in this case the fix I introduced simply skips the activity-specific override for the number of passengers waiting at a platform that does not exist (the related activity line is simply garbage), but this does not affect activity execution. So, I don't agree with Peter's proposal forcing exit of the game. Let's not deprive the player of the pleasure of playing the activity.
I agree with James' proposal about inserting a warning entry in the logfile, that anyhow lets the game proceed. I will do that in occasion of my next commit.

#7 User is offline   Sid P. 

• Conductor

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:17 AM

View PostCsantucci, on 28 July 2014 - 11:46 PM, said:

Fixed in X.2369. The .act file refers to a platform entry (51) that does not exist in the .tdb file (maybe it was built with a preceding version of the route), and OR was not protected against such mismatch.

Thanks for the quick reply and fix, Carlo.

Looking at it as a user, I like the idea that there is some kind of friendly report, even if it is only in the logfile. I notice OR warning of many items in some routes, but managing to run just fine ( e.g the Monon route has lots of warnings for the sigscr file). It is preferable to MSTS, which sometimes just quits at startup without saying anything. On the other hand, I agree that ORTS can't be expected to handle all activity errors gracefully.

Cheers,
Sid

#8 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:51 PM

Trace warning introduced in X.2370.

#9 User is offline   Sid P. 

• Conductor

Posted 30 July 2014 - 07:51 AM

View PostCsantucci, on 29 July 2014 - 11:51 PM, said:

Trace warning introduced in X.2370.

Noted - thanks. This warning could be useful when setting up "Timetable" activities.

Cheers,
Sid.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users