experimental releases Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:46 AM

markus_GE, on 24 July 2014 - 03:51 AM, said:

That´s a way I´ve not seen it before. Point for you. Nevertheless, I think it would be good to have the changelog easily accessible form the X release page, as sort of a backup should the auto-updater fail, or just if you want to look something up, but don´t have SVN-Tortoise installed. Might simply be done by putting the link you posted here on that page.

Have you noticed that the website already shows the change-log on the webpage Discover > News?

It would be no big deal for it to appear also on the webpage Download > Program

#12 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:39 AM

No, haven´t had the time to check it out, having to wait 5 minutes for a thread without pictures here at ET to load (I´m currently on vacation in quite a remote area of Austria, where obviously nothing better than an "E" type internet connection i possible with my mobile).

Anyway, now that I know where to look, problem solved for me :(

Cheers, Markus

#13 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:25 PM

James Ross, on 24 July 2014 - 02:16 AM, said:

No, we're both talking about where we would like to see the list of changes to the experimental builds. Unless you believe a significant portion of people update experimental builds via the website (I don't, even if you personally do), that doesn't seem like the best place to put the information (people coming to the website will be going from the last stable, 0.9, to experimental, or new to OR).

In most open source Linux (I know this is a bad word in OR but humor me) projects its normal to have a "Changelog" file in the root directory of the source code. This file often goes back years.

Another point I will put some people do not have decent access to internet (broadband access in the more remote areas being way to expensive) and cannot use any kind of automatic updates. It would be nice to allow access to a Changelog file on the main website somehow.
Recent changes in the News section of OR's main website being quite satisfactory.

Lindsay

#14 User is online   SVRy_Steve 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:43 PM

"Another point I will put some people do not have decent access to internet (broadband access in the more remote areas being way to expensive) and cannot use any kind of automatic updates."

ME, I'm limited to 6Gb a month or the price goes sky high. I only update about 2 times a month and can't watch any video or send/receive big files. I also don't look at the screenshot threads as they have large numbers of great images I don't dare look at ;) It's a royal PITA!

Steve

#15 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:39 PM

SVRy_Steve, on 24 July 2014 - 01:43 PM, said:

"Another point I will put some people do not have decent access to internet (broadband access in the more remote areas being way to expensive) and cannot use any kind of automatic updates."

ME, I'm limited to 6Gb a month or the price goes sky high. I only update about 2 times a month and can't watch any video or send/receive big files. I also don't look at the screenshot threads as they have large numbers of great images I don't dare look at ;) It's a royal PITA!

Steve

Welcome to a club that's much larger than many think it is. Certainly in rural Australia internet access is a real problem and I get somewhat sick of people including the government assumming everyone has fast cheap access.
A saving grace in my case is that there's an internet cafe in my closest major town 25 kilomtres away that I can get 3 hours access for $10 dollars and its VERY fast, one can download 4 gig an hour no problems.

Lindsay

#16 User is offline   steved 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORMG

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:45 PM

Wow! And I have to keep an eye on my kids so hey don't go over our 250 GB monthly limit.
And they complain about the 15 MB download speeds.
May have to move to rural Oregon. Teach them a lesson. And me.

Steve

#17 User is online   SVRy_Steve 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:49 PM

Hey Steve,

We moved from the Oregon coast a year ago where we had fairly fast and unlimited DSL. It's pretty challenging, but being 45 minutes from Crater Lake National Park and living very close to the largest freshwater lake in Oregon makes up for it! The $310 a month house payments help as well!

Steve T.

#18 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 25 July 2014 - 12:41 AM

Lindsayts, on 24 July 2014 - 01:25 PM, said:

In most open source Linux (I know this is a bad word in OR but humor me) projects its normal to have a "Changelog" file in the root directory of the source code. This file often goes back years.

Yeah and it is generally much cleaner than a raw commit log. ;) But it does give me an idea - we could include the raw commit log in a specially formatted file in every build which you'll be able to read and which the menu can also read to display a "What's new?".

If someone wants to maintain a real Changelog file I'd have no objections but it will be troublesome for our version numbering.

#19 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:03 PM

James Ross, on 25 July 2014 - 12:41 AM, said:

Yeah and it is generally much cleaner than a raw commit log. :) But it does give me an idea - we could include the raw commit log in a specially formatted file in every build which you'll be able to read and which the menu can also read to display a "What's new?".

If someone wants to maintain a real Changelog file I'd have no objections but it will be troublesome for our version numbering.

Now I would have bet money I posted a reply to this..... Oh well.

The raw commit log thats viewable on the main web site is satisfactory, most changelogs are similiar. Below is an extract from the changelog of Gimp as an example. This example is a bit bare as the commits are all minor.

If one can get an idea of whats happenning and where to look to find the changes, that would be enough to begin with.

commit 9bb7eb05451b344160ea3062ce3f877ecbe9c1b7
Author: Michael Natterer <mitch@gimp.org>
Date:   Thu Nov 28 19:33:16 2013 +0100

configure.ac: bump version to 2.8.10

configure.ac | 4 ++--
 1 file changed, 2 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)

commit 19025ea50823028a3a6eaa91f702156e8d94af7e
Date:   Thu Nov 28 19:21:37 2013 +0100

Add test-driver to the toplevel .gitignore

.gitignore | 1 +
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+)

commit e8755c60a9b6d185212d053bc8d63f907d87f959
Date:   Thu Nov 28 19:08:55 2013 +0100

NEWS: some updates

NEWS | 8 +++++++-
 1 file changed, 7 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

Lindsay

#20 User is offline   disc 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 26 July 2014 - 02:48 AM

cjakeman, on 24 July 2014 - 09:46 AM, said:

Have you noticed that the website already shows the change-log on the webpage Discover > News?

It would be no big deal for it to appear also on the webpage Download > Program

Yeah it worked, but doesn't since yesterday. Now just endless loading animation.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users