Elvas Tower: X2299 - train jumps track & breaks - Elvas Tower

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

X2299 - train jumps track & breaks when changing switch under loco Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   hytek1999 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Switchman
  • Simulator:MSTS; ORTS

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:47 AM

I had this happen last night as well. It was also FBL running one of the default activities: Coal for Fairfax 2. The problem occurred right after I picked up some wagons and pushed two hoppers through a switch. I wonder if the switch position logic is still looking at the length of the train (only two locos) prior to picking up the wagons to update the position. Just a thought. I'll try to reproduce it again.

#12 User is offline   hytek1999 

• Apprentice

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:30 PM

roeter, on 16 June 2014 - 04:05 PM, said:

It's all just more simple than that.

I agree. It's actually that the train is not pushing the switch to the correct position when you run through it.

Here is the train right before I push through the switch.

Attached Image: jump track-1.jpg

And here is the train right after...

Attached Image: jump track-2.jpg

The workaround is to set the switch before running through it. Is this a known issue??

#13 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:51 PM

hytek1999, on 29 July 2014 - 05:30 PM, said:

I agree. It's actually that the train is not pushing the switch to the correct position when you run through it. ................snip jpgs ref..................

The workaround is to set the switch before running through it. Is this a known issue??

Workaround?
Is it not considered bad form to run through a closed switch?

In MSTS you get a jerky motion passing the closed points and in Open Rails I think you go into emergency application. (except in explore mode)

Vince

#14 User is offline   hytek1999 

• Apprentice

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:19 PM

vince, on 29 July 2014 - 05:51 PM, said:

Workaround?
Is it not considered bad form to run through a closed switch?

In MSTS you get a jerky motion passing the closed points and in Open Rails I think you go into emergency application. (except in explore mode)

Vince

My bad. I see it explained all here: http://www.elvastowe...-braking-thing/

I suppose in my limited railroad knowledge that I also assumed that most switches were spring loaded. It's still probably not working as intended, but probably also not a high priority either.

#15 User is offline   KiwiPeter 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails X

Posted 30 July 2014 - 04:46 AM

I have no idea what happens in the real world when you run the wrong way through a closed switch. I only know what happened on my old Maerklin model train set: nothing.

I only know what doesn't happen in the real world: the train does not jump from one track to another. ORTS tries to simulate the real world of trains, so it should not happen, either.

Regards,
Peter.

#16 User is offline   hytek1999 

• Apprentice

Posted 30 July 2014 - 06:51 AM

The tracks in ORTS do not have spring loaded switches, but apparently the trains have spring loaded wheels. ;)

#17 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:04 AM

KiwiPeter, on 30 July 2014 - 04:46 AM, said:

I have no idea what happens in the real world when you run the wrong way through a closed switch. I only know what happened on my old Maerklin model train set: nothing.

I only know what doesn't happen in the real world: the train does not jump from one track to another. ORTS tries to simulate the real world of trains, so it should not happen, either.

Regards,
Peter.

Hi Peter,
I asked a question of an engineer at Steamtown (Bellows Falls, Vermont) in 1975 about running through a closed switch.
He stated; "No sir, the engine will not tip over like Lionel and American Flyer toy trains do. It will just split the switch causing about $1500+ worth of damage." ( must be more $$ today! )

The problem with the "jumping trains" is caused by incorrect coupler settings in the eng and wag files. Simply remove the Rigid Connection parameter and the train will behave normally.

Back to pounding spikes.
Vince
My Long Island Rail Road build photos here >>===> http://www.trainsim....php?albumid=248

#18 User is offline   KiwiPeter 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails X

Posted 01 August 2014 - 02:13 AM

Thanks for the info, Vince. I will try that when I get back to my setup in September.

Regards,
Peter.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users