• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bell behavior in Experimental releases Changed since v0.9 Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   EricF 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails / Sometimes MSTS

Posted 14 June 2014 - 10:11 AM

Not sure if anyone else has noticed, but it seems like since the Experimental releases started supporting the "horn triggers bell" function in .ENG files, it lost the ability to allow the bell to be latched on by holding down "B" and Shift, then release "B" before Shift as in MSTS. I happened to run in v0.9 to test something else, and noticed that while the bell can't be triggered by the horn, the latch function on the bell works perfectly.

What's more, in X2313 that I'm using right now, if I use the Shift-key sequence to latch the bell on, the bell sound cancels when I press Shift, but the animated control in the cab for the bell shows that it's still held down, as if the latch function worked. It's only the sound that gets canceled -- which seems more like a bug to me. Anyone else experiencing this, or is it just a feature still being worked out?

#2 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 15 June 2014 - 04:25 AM

I think the correct key order is press-Shift, press-B, release-B, release-Shift to toggle bell. Or alternatively you may just keep B pressed for bell, and release if no more is needed, but in this case without Shift. If you want to use Shift, start and finish the key sequence with Shift, otherwise it will not work. I think it is a limitation of the keyboard handling code.

#3 User is offline   EricF 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails / Sometimes MSTS

Posted 15 June 2014 - 06:08 AM

Euraka! That works. Please excuse my confusion -- my MSTS keyboard habits are deeply ingrained in me... :oldstry:

So, if you need to latch the bell "on" (In US, typically when moving a locomotive alongside occupied passenger platforms, near workers on the ground, in some yards where required, etc.) the trick is to remember to hold shift before operating the bell with B. Got it. The "bug" is between the keyboard and the chair. :sign_welcome:

Easier to operate, really. <Shift> down, tap <B>, release <Shift> is quicker than MSTS, with <B> down, <Shift> down, release <B>, release <Shift>. It gets rid of a little extra keystroke activity if you're already manipulating brakes/throttle at the same time, which is typical in station approaches and stops. Nice!

Just an aside, I think the reason the change escaped me is due not only to old habits, but a bit of a subtle change in the keyboard UI logic:
MSTS: Operate bell first, decide to control manually or latch "on", activate latch if desired with extra keystrokes. -- Decision can be made while activating bell.
Open Rails : Decide to operate bell manually or latch "on" first, operate bell with appropriate keystrokes. -- Decision must be made before activating bell.

I don't know if either approach is better than the other, but it's just interesting how it affects the way that the end-user must approach the controls. I can only imagine how much money and time gets spent on agonizing over these details developing real-world locomotive controls!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users