• You cannot reply to this topic

OR Mileposts Am I Missing Something Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:32 PM

Lindsayts, on 11 June 2014 - 01:15 PM, said:

In a real world in order to bring say a fast freight to a stop at a signal, the signal would need to be visible for over 1.5 kilometres. Using the current computor displays availible this is not possible. Using a 2560x1600 display its possible under most circumstances to identify a signal at 1000 metres but its not reliable on MSTS/OR.
The original version of Kuju's train simulator magnified the signal itself around 2 times at distances so one could more easily identify a signal.
Generally though the solution to this is to provide a signal display so one can readily identify signals in the distance.

I'd not heard of any magnification other than the mipmap "trick", but I'd like to say that roeter and myself have been collaborating on adding an automatic, built-in signal visibility improvement in OR. I think we're close so expect to see some news in the next few weeks (mostly when I have time).

Lindsayts, on 11 June 2014 - 01:27 PM, said:

An additional point on siting signals, in real life railways usually have some kind of signal siting group who's responsibilty is to see that all signals are visible at the required distances. Now a thing I have found is a good percentage of route developers do not always understand this point and it is not uncommon for some signals to be obscured by objects.
So this is an additional reason.

Tell me about it. I've seen a few cases where a platform canopy completely obscures the departure signal until you reach it, which is less than ideal. :sign_thanks:

#22 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:57 PM

James Ross, on 11 June 2014 - 01:32 PM, said:

I'd not heard of any magnification other than the mipmap "trick", but I'd like to say that roeter and myself have been collaborating on adding an automatic, built-in signal visibility improvement in OR. I think we're close so expect to see some news in the next few weeks (mostly when I have time).

Thats REAL good news :sign_thanks:.

I don't know the mipmap trick but when one got to around 500 metres distance you would see the signal arm/light suddenly decrease in size.

Tell me about it. I've seen a few cases where a platform canopy completely obscures the departure signal until you reach it, which is less than ideal. :oldstry:

Happens in real life to, When the Albury line (Victoria, Australia) was regauged recently they had two instances. A signal at Benalla was resited TWICE before it was finally be able to be seen clearly, the first site it was blocked by the station canopy, the second by a signal box.

The second instance was at the new loop a Kilmore east, there are two gauges of track there std and 5ft 3in. A signal installed guarding the southern set of points on the std gauge was found on the COMMISIONING tests to be on exactly the same siting line as one of the broad gauge signals, they ended up shifting the BG signal.

Lindsay

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users