• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

'End Activity' doesn't end Activity Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   beresford 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:msts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:11 AM

When the 'Activity Completed' bos comes up, 'End Activity' returns you to the Activity, and you have to go and select 'Exit Open Rails' elsewhere.

#2 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:23 PM

Do you prefer that OR automatically exits? I personally prefer to decide myself if I want to exit or if I want to do something more in the game.
I never liked those forced activity ends in MSTS.

#3 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:50 PM

The forced ends indeed can be a little... let´s call it annoying. But for MSTS compatibility, ORTS should IMHO at least ask if one wants to exit the activity or keep playing, with a direct exit option in that very message box.

My two cents ;)

Cheers, Markus

#4 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 03 June 2014 - 02:08 PM

From the dictionary :

compatí|ble Consistent, able to co-exist (with)

cop'y Reproduction; Imitation; (etc)

So - being compatible does not mean everything has to be exactly the same. OR is is compatible with MSTS - it is NOT a copy of MSTS.
So, at the end of an activity you can exit OR - which is correct. That you may have to do so in a slightly different way - so be it. That is not wrong and it does not mean it is not compatible with MSTS.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#5 User is offline   EricF 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails / Sometimes MSTS

Posted 03 June 2014 - 02:17 PM

I'll second it, that the abruptness of how MSTS gave the end-of-activity message and then dropped out of the sim environment immediately wasn't my favorite. It tends to break the immersion in a bad way. I definitely prefer if I can acknowledge the end of the activity, and then gracefully exit the sim world on my own terms.

#6 User is offline   markus_GE 

Posted 03 June 2014 - 02:19 PM

Well, if you read it that way, true. If you read it in the sense of "trying to get close to MSTS" (ORTS can never be a copy of MSTS, as has been explained numerous times all over the board) it would at least be fine to have it implemented that way. And since the GUI is being reworked, this might be the perfect time to think about it ;)

Cheers, Markus

#7 User is offline   jonas 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 03 June 2014 - 03:00 PM

Every option is better than being forced to do things in one way.

The forced exits in MSTS after a finished activity are not desirable for OR in my eyes. I always prefere to decide by my self if I will exit the simulation. I think it's no problem to "Exit Open Rails' elsewhere" after the activity is done.
(Is it really a "Maybe it's a bug" topic. Maybe better in Subforum "Discussion"?)

By the way, you can always delete the final standard event in an MSTS activity with the activity editor of MSTS, so a finished MSTS activity must not always stop the MSTSimulation.

Best wishes,
Jonas

#8 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:39 PM

I have taken to making the player path extend past the activities "end" point to the end of the route, so if the player wants, they can call the activity finished and keep running until they want to stop. Usually put in a message at the completion point "Activity successfully completed". Never cared for the abrupt ending. You can always, just pull the plug, after all it's your simulation.

#9 User is offline   markus_GE 

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:15 AM

jonas, on 03 June 2014 - 03:00 PM, said:

Every option is better than being forced to do things in one way.

The forced exits in MSTS after a finished activity are not desirable for OR in my eyes. I always prefere to decide by my self if I will exit the simulation. I think it's no problem to "Exit Open Rails' elsewhere" after the activity is done.
(Is it really a "Maybe it's a bug" topic. Maybe better in Subforum "Discussion"?)

By the way, you can always delete the final standard event in an MSTS activity with the activity editor of MSTS, so a finished MSTS activity must not always stop the MSTSimulation.

Best wishes,
Jonas

Would rather fit to "Discussion" IMHO too.

Anyway, to summarize all of the thread, nobody seems to want the abrupt forced ends that come with most MSTS activities to be ported to ORTS. It seems, however, it´s still unclear if an option should be provided to end the activity right when it is defined to end, or to keep playing (for those of you who know Railroad Tycoon 3 (or any other version?), after a scenario / campaign is done there, you are also asked if you want to continue playing. Just as an example).

So, the question on how to exit is yet to be cleared...

Cheers, Markus

#10 User is offline   Sid P. 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails / MSTS

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:09 AM

R H Steele, on 03 June 2014 - 04:39 PM, said:

I have taken to making the player path extend past the activities "end" point to the end of the route, so if the player wants, they can call the activity finished and keep running until they want to stop. Usually put in a message at the completion point "Activity successfully completed". Never cared for the abrupt ending. You can always, just pull the plug, after all it's your simulation.

Sounds like a good plan. I like to keep going, too.

Cheers,
Sid

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users