• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Brake initialization at speed <> 0 Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is online   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 21 May 2014 - 05:16 AM

As of now brake initialization commanded by keystroke is not accepted if speed is not equal to 0 or almost.
Brake initialization is a non-prototypical shortcut for players in a hurry or in case of problems, in particular due to the fact that brakes don't release completely because .eng parameters working in MSTS don't work in OR, which uses them more completely. (Moreover it is used internally by OR, but this is not the issue here.)
Driving a train with such .eng parameters under OR is a pain, because to release brakes completely you have to stop the train and then you can enter your initialization command. Needing to stop the train to release brakes is even more non-prototypical.
Therefore I suggest that keystroke-commanded brake initialization be possible also at speed not equal to 0. I'm quite sure this change would be hailed by many OR players.
Here's the simple patch
Attached File  Resetbrakes.zip (566bytes)
Number of downloads: 177
I hope that this patch is accepted and that I can commit it.

#2 User is offline   eugenR 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 21 May 2014 - 06:01 AM

I think The Patch would bee helpful but:

Many Engines has :
AirBrakesMainResVolume( 8 )
in the *.eng file because this is the default valour in the description of MSTS
„Eng_and_wag_file_reference_guidev2.doc“

Here you can also read. that this valour is in „cubicfeet“.
1 cubicfeet = 28,3 Liter
8 cubicfeet = 226,4 Liter
a really small Mainreservoir,
If you release the airbrake you doesn't have enough air in this small reservoir
and you have to wait until the compressor has released the Brakes.

enter here
AirBrakesMainResVolume( 50 )
50 cubic feet = 1415 liter a realistic valour for modern Engines
can solve this problem

#3 User is online   Csantucci 

Posted 21 May 2014 - 08:41 AM

Hi Eugen,
thank you for your exact calculations, that confirmed to me that the 8 value is absolutely insufficient.
I know that changing .eng values (often not only the main reservoir volume) the problem can be solved (by the way I put such value to 32 or 40, and now after your suggestion I will put it to 50). However this requires a high modification work that everyone must do, which is even higher if one wants to create separate .eng files for OR. What I suggest is to increase the usability of the already available Brake Initialization command, to spare or delay the modification work to people not able to do that or not wanting to do that.

#4 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 21 May 2014 - 09:10 AM

Csantucci, on 21 May 2014 - 08:41 AM, said:

[...] However this requires a high modification work that everyone must do, which is even higher if one wants to create separate .eng files for OR. [...]

Maybe this is something I´ll try to remember for my current Diesel Engine Updater program, when I expand it... ;)

Cheers, Markus

#5 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 21 May 2014 - 09:48 AM

Hi Carlo,

Csantucci, on 21 May 2014 - 05:16 AM, said:

I hope that this patch is accepted and that I can commit it.

Thanks for looking at this.

I wasn't around when this convenience command was first introduced, so I don't know the history. However, as it's a matter of convenience and not prototype operation, and your patch just makes it more convenient then please go ahead.

#6 User is offline   ATW 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS Open Rails

Posted 21 May 2014 - 11:58 AM

Has anyone not ever tried the new (not that new) ORTS eng Parameters or experimented atleast with them like I have or even messed with the brake pipe charging rate in the options based on loaded consists where I have mine currently at 115 PSI/s with my avg of 3-4 units? Sofar I'm satisfied with how my long freight trains with tweaked eng files work on releasing and applying like I have in real life except one thing needs fiddling and experimenting being how emergency brake application speeds apply slowly.

One suggesting I wish to see is how rear helpers/dupers play in helping with brake release/applications and how dynamics can be shut down on some units.

#7 User is online   Csantucci 

Posted 21 May 2014 - 01:16 PM

Thanks Chris,
patch uploaded in release 2248.

#8 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2014 - 03:29 PM

Csantucci, on 21 May 2014 - 08:41 AM, said:

However this requires a high modification work that everyone must do, which is even higher if one wants to create separate .eng files for OR. What I suggest is to increase the usability of the already available Brake Initialization command, to spare or delay the modification work to people not able to do that or not wanting to do that.

Regarding Modification Work,( sparing or delay of): What is needed to be available are mod instructions detailing how the mod is to be made. Many of the mods discussed are in threads that have to be ferreted out. They are easily understood by the OR Dev team and experienced folks but can be a mystery to many of us. Perhaps, once mods are decided upon a spec sheet could be distilled from the information in a specific thread. A short, but easily understood instruction on how to proceed. If helped with tech issues I would be willing to write such mod instruction sheets. Even better would be the timely release of simple mod programs devoted to a specific file modification.
(see Marcus's post above)

#9 User is online   Csantucci 

Posted 21 May 2014 - 10:45 PM

I agree about this. Neither I have yet figured out a complete set of rules to be respected for the braking parameters. So it would be nice if the author of the braking code could provide a short manual with following information (in order of importance):
- a suggested coherent and consistent set of the relevant .eng and .wag parameters
- the rules to be followed to select such parameters
- how such parameters influence braking behaviour.

#10 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 May 2014 - 01:39 AM

R H Steele, on 21 May 2014 - 03:29 PM, said:

If helped with tech issues I would be willing to write such mod instruction sheets.

I'll send you a PM about this.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users