Elvas Tower: A sugestion for a mod to the OR manual - Elvas Tower

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A sugestion for a mod to the OR manual twin pipe braking has been working for ages Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 18 May 2014 - 11:52 AM

The OR manual still says only single pipe brakes are supported, this is definitely NOT correct. Twin pipe braking with graduated release has been working OK now for AGES. All my pass rolling stock and my hopper stock have been set up for twin pipe braking and graduated release.
I have been using this now for a long time, even for the modern EP braking systems with little complaint, pass's are far easier to control when trying to stop at a platform.

If/when you give it a try one will see on the brake display in the F5 hud something like this, Note the Auxilary reservoir is at the same pressure as the Main Reservoir Pipe inspite of the fact the brakes are applied.

BRAKE INFORMATION
Main reservior 103psi
1 2P BC 24 BP 60 AR 103 ER 70 MRP 103 State Lap
2 2P BC 24 BP 60 AR 103 ER 70 MRP 103 State Lap

Who ever did the twin pipe mods to OR clearly did not tell anyone. I regularly push the boundries in the eng files, it was on one of these expeditions I discovered twin pipes worked.

It would probably be nice to include this news into the manual.

Lindsay

#2 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant

Posted 18 May 2014 - 11:55 AM

Note: One can put a twin pipe loco onto single pipe rolling stock with no problems, While I do not do this often I have done it.

Lindsay

#3 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 18 May 2014 - 01:11 PM

Just two more questions now please.

1: How should one expect a twin-piped loco to work with a single piped train (or any other combination of the two systems)?

2: Will one need to change the switch in the options for this to work the way it should?

Cheers, Markus

#4 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant

Posted 18 May 2014 - 01:50 PM

markus_GE, on 18 May 2014 - 01:11 PM, said:

Just two more questions now please.

1: How should one expect a twin-piped loco to work with a single piped train (or any other combination of the two systems)?

In the real world if a twin pipe train loses or does not have the Main Reservoir pipe, it falls back to single pipe behavior. I have not tested this in OR as I have set up all locos as they were in reality, ie all with twin pipe set. The few pass rolling stock that only had single in Victoria usually were hauled by locos only having a single pipe, I have left them as is. I have hauled single pipe rolling stock (most freight vehicles) they work OK with a loco set up for twin pipes.

This would almost certainly need to be tested more as I believe I am the only one using a twin piped set up most of the time. As as with the high res cabviews (2560x1600) OR never released any news on the item so one had to figure it out your self.

2: Will one need to change the switch in the options for this to work the way it should?

Cheers, Markus

In theory one should and I do do so on long frieghts as for some reason having graduated release checked slows down the recharge time greatly.
Now I have managed to check the recharge time on a twin pipe train set, in the particular case a 6 car loco hauled pass. In the rear car, on brake release the brake line pressure rose within a 1/4 of a second to 67 psi and took a further around 1/2 a second to reach the line pressure of 70 psi. I took the latter 3 psi rise as the MRP recharging the Auxilary reservoir. The times given are estimates as it was very quick but I did get a good look at the gauges for a long period over many brakings. IT was very instructive!!!!

Lindsay

#5 User is offline   markus_GE 

Posted 18 May 2014 - 01:53 PM

Ok, so I will simply leave the graduated release checkbox unchecked.

:jawdrop2: for your patience and help ;)

Cheers, Markus

#6 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant

Posted 18 May 2014 - 02:03 PM

markus_GE, on 18 May 2014 - 01:53 PM, said:

Ok, so I will simply leave the graduated release checkbox unchecked.

:jawdrop2: for your patience and help ;)

Cheers, Markus

No, It needs to be tested more, give both ways ago and let us know.

I almost always run with this set as I normal drive pass's and these trains for many years have been running with twin pipes witn graduated release brake units.

Lindsay

#7 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant

Posted 18 May 2014 - 02:09 PM

Important Note, altering the eng and wag files in this fashion for a long period is a major reason why I would like to see a proper working "include" directive so one could split up the eng and wag files into sections. Having one brake section for say all twin pipe vehicles and another for single pipe would make OR FAR and AWAY easer to deal with compared with MSTS.

Lindsay

#8 User is offline   markus_GE 

Posted 19 May 2014 - 02:26 AM

When I get at it, I´ll share my results. But as I said, this won´t be until DPU supports changing these parameters (to avoid going through the mess of the current ENG file manually) and that won´t be until after graduation is done at the end of June.

Cheers, Markus

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users