• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

X2194 - mini-white void? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Mike B 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Mostly ORTS these days

Posted 17 May 2014 - 07:11 PM

I originally posted this in the wrong place. See the Discussion section. Sorry about that.

-Mike B

#2 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 18 May 2014 - 03:19 AM

Please can you include some screenshots.

#3 User is offline   cr-stagg 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:38 PM

Mike, Is this what you are referring to?
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/charlesstagg/Open Rails 2014-05-18 03-26-40.jpg

If so I get it also.

#4 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 18 May 2014 - 03:05 PM

I have never had this problem with this route. I believe this general problem was fixed some versions previous. A while back there was an OR thread concerning a problem with activity "BN G85" for the D&RGW GS-GJ. I was up and down the route testing the modification for the activity to work in OR. Never saw any thing like this. Lots of shrubbery in and on the track, but that's old news. Attached is screen shot I just took from start of activity BN G85 from approx same vantage point. I moved camera around quite a lot a did not see a thing, except for second screen shot of the infamous shrub content of the route. I'm running X2237, I'll try X2194 just to make sure.

So I have a question - why the difference in route representation (graphic cards, drivers?)

EDIT: Last screenshot from X2194. Also posted in thread in "Discussion" where Mike reposted this query.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: Open Rails 2014-05-18 03-43-03.png
  • Attached Image: Open Rails 2014-05-18 03-52-25.png
  • Attached Image: Open Rails 2014-05-18 04-39-35.png

#5 User is offline   thegrindre 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Simulator:MSTS & Trainz '04 & Open Rails

Posted 18 May 2014 - 06:26 PM

Looks like a vid card issue to me.

;)

#6 User is offline   Mike B 

• Superintendant

Posted 18 May 2014 - 07:18 PM

I'll try to grab some screen shots. But cr-stagg's shot is very similar to what I see, except that if I back up to a bit of height I'll see it as nearly a circle around me. Note though that it doesn't show up right away; it gradually appears over about 10 minutes of running, and if I save-exit-resume it goes away starting the cycle again.

If it's a video card/driver issue, I'm not sure why this doesn't happen in other routes - though admittedly I haven't tried a lot of them since upgrading to x2194. Interestingly, I did see a slight hint of this in MSTS as well, but it stays well concealed behind the foreground scenery and doesn't grow - so perhaps it *is* something related to this route.

-Mike

#7 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 19 May 2014 - 12:06 AM

View Postcr-stagg, on 18 May 2014 - 12:38 PM, said:

Mike, Is this what you are referring to?
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/charlesstagg/Open Rails 2014-05-18 03-26-40.jpg

If so I get it also.

Assuming you're referring to the terrain gap on the right, this is caused by no distant terrain being available close enough to the camera/track and the normal terrain being cut off by the viewing distance before you get to it. (This happens because some routes don't have distant terrain under the main area of the route itself.)

You can avoid the problem a bit by increasing the viewing distance.

The only way I can think this gets bigger as you play is that you're using the automatic performance tuner experimental option and cannot maintain 60FPS which will cause it to slowly reduce the viewing distance, growing the gap where the distant terrain is missing. You can just turn this option off to stop that.

#8 User is offline   Mike B 

• Superintendant

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:40 AM

Thank you! Mark this one solved.

I tried turning off the automatic performance tuner and the problem went away - but now I'm fiddling with other things trying to get my frame rate back to about 25. Turning the tuner back on and setting the target rate at 25 seems to smooth things out a bit (still a little jump every 1/2 second) and doesn't bring the white patch back - or at least not quickly. Dialing back the viewing distance (had it up to 8500m) also seems to help the smoothness a bit. When I set the tuner to 30 or more, the frame rate settles around 26-27 and after a few minutes fuzziness starts appearing in the distant scenery. So that's it.

Looks like my next investment needs to be a better video card...probably nVidea for futureproofing though ATI/AMD does still seem to work in Win7. I don't think the rest of the system should be a problem; CPU % never goes above 20 (in a quad-core). usually around 15-17, and with or without LAA memory usage has not yet exceeded 1 GB.

#9 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:40 AM

New Video card appears to be the solution. I'm running a card just about a year old and Open Rails frame rates are 95% of the time in the +60 range ( as high as 80+) Rare to see it below 60. FPS tuning option off. Always have run the Nvidia+ Windows combination but I'm not a gamer and I know there are more powerful cards out there and exotic tuning tools.

#10 User is offline   cr-stagg 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 19 May 2014 - 05:00 PM

View PostMike B, on 19 May 2014 - 08:40 AM, said:

Thank you! Mark this one solved.

I tried turning off the automatic performance tuner and the problem went away - ..............

Same here.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users