• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mini-white-void in ORTS latest stabel 1.0- version Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Mike B 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Mostly ORTS these days

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:04 PM

When running the Grand Junction-Glenwood Springs route in explore mode with a coal train (3DTS equipment), I get a strange white area surrounding me a visual mile or 2 away. It's not there when I start running, but over 10 minutes or so it gradually appears almost like a ground fog at about a mile or two away (visually guessing). It gradually gets higher, until it's above the rail and blocks view of the scenery. Eventually, it'll get high enough to affect the view of distant mountains, but I usually give up before that. I have tried various combinations of view distance and distant mountains distance, with no apparently change. If I save, exit, then resume the problem goes away (much like the old GWV problem in unpatched MSTS), again starting to build up after about 10 minutes of running. Task Manager doesn't note any particular memory issues - commit size is under 1 GB (for runactivity.exe) and total system physical RAM in use is less than 1/3 of the total available; CPU usage for runactivity.exe is in the 15-20% range so it's not even pushing one core very hard. I'm attaching the latest log file.

I don't think this occurred with the previous 0.9 stable version.

It occurs with both the Large Address Aware and regular binaries, but seems to build up more slowly and less densely in the older ones. But it still happens.

I downloaded the sub-1.0 package about 3 weeks ago and installed it 2 weeks ago. Then this started happening. I have the correct XNA (i.e. not 4) and latest patches to .NET 3.5.1 - but then it wouldn't work at all if I didn't. This was occurring before this week's Patch Tuesday, and didn't change afterward.

Windows 7 Pro, Core2Extreme (quad core) 3GHz, 6GB RAM, ATI HD5450/1GB video, Catalyst 13.12 (has not changed for several months).

FWIW, MSTS runs this route flawlessly, using the same train.

On the plus side, the sub-1.0 seems to handle explore-mode signals better than the previous 0.9 versions, and the brake release works a little better too.

Grump? On the ++ side, it makes me stop every 10-15 minutes, save, exit, and look around the room a bit maybe even go for a walk ...

-Mike B

#2 User is offline   Mike B 

• Superintendant

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:06 PM

For some reason, my last post refused to let me attach the log file. Trying again ... aha! found the right button!

#3 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 18 May 2014 - 03:48 PM

Check the other thread Mike, James wanted you to post a screenshot. Take a look at the screenshot Charles posted. Here's my screenshot from X2194, nothing. I have never encountered this (if it is what I think it is, scenery not being filled in). Another thread concerned an activity "BN G85" for this route that wasn't working in OR. While modfying the activity I was up and down the route testing the mod and never saw anything like you describe. A screenshot would be helpful.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: Open Rails 2014-05-18 04-39-35.png

#4 User is offline   Mike B 

• Superintendant

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:51 AM

Solved! See the maybe-bugs thread. Turns out to be related to using the performance tuner with a video card that can't maintain the chosen frame rate.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users