Elvas Tower: Activity Saves from What OR Version? - Elvas Tower

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Activity Saves from What OR Version? anyway to find out from file? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:45 PM

C:\Users\Gerry\AppData\Roaming\Open Rails - all the saves from Open Rails are stored here.
Anyway to determine which version a specific saved file was run in. Currently you have to keep opening different versions to find the correct one. Sometimes you don't want to restart an acitivity from the beginning in the newest version but from the last point saved in the version it was originally run.
Does that make any sense? I'm kind of daffy after copying a gazillon files from one hard drive to another this past week or so.

edit: just realized you could get the version# from the associated png file if the HUD was on the screen, that seems a little time consuming.
Just did it, no problem. ;):pardon: all sorts of problems, missing files, I guess have to reload this particular version instead of just copying it over from the old drive. DUH, I do know which version to reload, from the HUD in the png associated with the save I wanted.

Last edit, I promise. Not only am I daffy I am just plain goofy --- the saved file probably includes information on where to look for rolling stock, activity files, etc. etc. AND all that has changed. So all those old saves files I migrated from the old drive are useless on the new one??

#2 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:29 PM

Since some release OR tries to restore saves of previous releases and... often it succeeds! (Depending on the fact that the newer OR version requires or not a different save file format or not).

#3 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 13 May 2014 - 12:44 AM

R H Steele, on 12 May 2014 - 09:45 PM, said:

C:\Users\Gerry\AppData\Roaming\Open Rails - all the saves from Open Rails are stored here.
Anyway to determine which version a specific saved file was run in.

Although the save files are not text, they do contain some text content. If you open a save file in a text editor, it will show you the following information in text right at the start (with a few weird characters in between):

• Version number of OR
  • Build identifier of OR
  • Route name
  • Activity name / Path name
  • Activity file / Path and consist files, start time and weather
  • Game mode (activity/explore)

You will not be able to edit this information unless you're good with a hex editor but this information should get you going. AFAIK we figure out all the other file paths from the one (activity) or two (path and consist) included here, although there might be hiccups if things have moved around and you edit these file paths.

The combination of directory junctions/symlinks and 'subst' should mean you can fake more or less any old file configuration.

#4 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2014 - 09:30 PM

After moving everything to the new drive and OS I finally got around to trying to finish an activity in X2096. After installing the version it already had all the different trainsim installs listed, so no problem there. I knew this was the correct version for this activity - got that off a screenshot save. First OR asked for location of Act file. I browsed and got that. OR opened then the screenshot below appeared. OR obviously is encoded to look in the previous (old) location. I don't know how to get it to look in the new location, although the installation/profile drop down displays the current (correct) location. If I use start to begin the activity anew OR has no trouble finding everything - normal operation in all respects. So the old pathway to equipment and whatelse? is information that has been written into the save files and cannot be changed. True?

I know this is obscure and certainly not a problem with Open Rails. If it's possible (well easy and feasible) it would be nice to finish activities without having to start them all over again from the beginning in a new or same version. This would only come up if a nitwit ;) :thumbup3: (like yours truly) were to install a new OS/drive and expect a program to find everything.

A simple post of FORGET IT .... will suffice. :good: [me editing HEX would be like this fuse>>>> :D ]

EDIT1: I reread James post more carefully and found the correct sections with a text editor. I am substituting the new C: path info right now. Will post the results as an edit.

EDIT2: Well OR found everything, then messaged that it had an error "Illegal characters in path" - I think it's referring to me. Back to work.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: OR Vx2039.jpg

#5 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 22 May 2014 - 12:55 AM

R H Steele, on 21 May 2014 - 09:30 PM, said:

First OR asked for location of Act file. I browsed and got that. OR opened then the screenshot below appeared. OR obviously is encoded to look in the previous (old) location.

Hmm, I didn't expect it to ask you for the location of the activity. But since it did, it should have worked - any problems are a bug with that feature. That said, I would not expect such a feature to exist so it may just be better to remove it altogether and give a sensible error message instead (e.g. "This saved game uses an activity file which cannot be found: <path>").

You should still be able to load 'em up with some cunning use of symlinks, junctions and/or subst.

#6 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 May 2014 - 01:34 AM

James Ross, on 22 May 2014 - 12:55 AM, said:

Hmm, I didn't expect it to ask you for the location of the activity. But since it did, it should have worked - any problems are a bug with that feature.

The proper way to move a save from one system to another is to use the Import/Export facility from the Resume/Replay form.

(Can't attach a screenshot as I get an Error407 message)

That saves a ORSavePack file and when imported by another system, the *.save file is modified to point to the new content automatically.

The prompt in your screenshot may be related to that Import mechanism in some way.

I'll take a look, bearing in mind James' comments above.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users