Elvas Tower: HUD in the new UI - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

HUD in the new UI Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 09 May 2014 - 01:34 AM

View PostJames Ross, on 09 May 2014 - 01:05 AM, said:

I'd really rather we didn't keep it. I'll accept that e.g. the steam locomotive data has a strong preference for PSI and other non-SI units but unless there's a really strong reason for using them in this particular case I want it in SI only. The HUD (especially the multiple pages) is for debugging only. Anything you need from it in a non-debugging context should be reported in a new forum thread so that I can make sure it's included in the new UI.

In fact I would not accept it, just I didn't want to start arguing about it yet. But as the issue now arised, I must tell that at least for hungarian modellers developing steam locomotives it is rather disturbing not having the pressure data in bar. So if no other options is kept, I would prefer using SI units at ALL places.

Referring to the new UI and reporting of the needed data from HUD: There are a lot of instruments on locomotives, probably just in dial form. From those the speedometer is picked to show the value on track monitor. Displaying other values is available only on HUD. If HUD will be gone, then it should be considered how the values will be visualized. We cannot put everything into track monitor I think... So I'm not sure what you meant by reporting them.

But now I created a new forum thread for these reports, whatever that means. :sweatingbullets:

Edit: BTW I am looking forward with excitement the new UI, so I didn't want to write this post with offense in mind. Hope it doesn't look like that! :)

#2 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 09 May 2014 - 02:27 AM

View Postgpz, on 09 May 2014 - 01:34 AM, said:

[...]

If HUD will be gone, then it should be considered how the values will be visualized. We cannot put everything into track monitor I think... So I'm not sure what you meant by reporting them.

[...]

Edit: BTW I am looking forward with excitement the new UI, so I didn't want to write this post with offense in mind. Hope it doesn't look like that! :sweatingbullets:

Nope, that would clutter thinks up so much, if everything now available in the HUD was in Track Monitor.

So, what about a locomotive info windows? I´m thinking of the F3 key, that seems to be unused so far. In MSTS, it was the Driver´s help window, which AFAIK is implemented in the help window in ORTS. So, F3 would be free for the new loco / train / whatever INFO window.

Cheers, Markus

PS: Don´t ask about my bad mood today - I just came home from my maths finals!

#3 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 09 May 2014 - 02:53 AM

Thanks for the information regarding steam data not being in SI.

View Postgpz, on 09 May 2014 - 01:34 AM, said:

Referring to the new UI and reporting of the needed data from HUD: There are a lot of instruments on locomotives, probably just in dial form. From those the speedometer is picked to show the value on track monitor. Displaying other values is available only on HUD. If HUD will be gone, then it should be considered how the values will be visualized. We cannot put everything into track monitor I think... So I'm not sure what you meant by reporting them.

The HUD will not disappear but I will be aiming to have it not displayed by default. Other aids will take over the roles where necessary. In my proposal I refer to a "locomotive aid" (like Markus also mentioned). This is intended to cover values that are useful to know about the locomotive (typically what you'd have available via cab displays) as well as a few things that are available only in the real world. So, for example, the water levels in a steam locomotive will be shown here. Exactly how that'll be done isn't finalised yet but I have some ideas. :sweatingbullets:

What I wanted from "reporting them" is for people to tell me that they really need X or Y from the HUD when playing Open Rails. If I know what bits of the HUD people really need, I can make sure we include that information in something other than the HUD. That way, the HUD can be kept full of very useful debugging information but the majority of people will not need it at all.

#4 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 09 May 2014 - 06:39 AM

Generally, I´d say anything from the non.extended (non-Shift-F5-switched) HUD should go to the loco info window. I detailed it more closely here.

Cheers, Markus

PS: Don´t ask about my bad mood today - Today was maths finals day!

#5 User is online   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:20 AM

View Postmarkus_GE, on 09 May 2014 - 06:39 AM, said:

Generally, I´d say anything from the non.extended (non-Shift-F5-switched) HUD should go to the loco info window. I detailed it more closely here.

Thanks. :sweatingbullets:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users