Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Diesel Power Updater (DPU) VX3.0 Did I miss the point? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Eldorado.Railroad 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 04 May 2014 - 02:01 PM

I have downloaded this utility that Mr. Gelbmann has kindly provided free of charge.

There is something that perhaps is missing in the translation/documentation of this utility.

DPUmult.exe allows you to save even more time: To this program you can pass a bunch of .ENG files (there is virtually no limit to the number passed). Then you once have to select which data profile you want to use on ALL of these files. With that done, you just have to acknowledge every time a file was passed to the main DPU.exe that you are fine with what you are shown in the evaluation.

Does anybody have an explicit example of how exactly this works?

Back in March, Carlos posted this "http://www.elvastower.com/forums/index.php?/topic/23909-generating-eng-sms-cvf-files-for-orts-without-affecting-msts-behaviour/". The really useful aspect of this is that the original MSTS .eng file does NOT need to be modified to insert Open Rails specific changes. Two thumbs up there!

Which begs the question would this utility not be more useful if it created modifications and placed them in the OpenRails subdirectory of the engine in question?

I have been struggling (okay, lazy, but resolute!) about how our beautiful particle emitter (smoke) requires the wholesale modification of a ton of MSTS engine files to work/look acceptable in Open Rails. In short, it is not terribly "compatible".

Did I miss the point here?

#2 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 05 May 2014 - 01:05 AM

I think that the whole point about compatability is that the MSTS model will run in OR. The fact that certain things need to be changed to get a reasonable visual effect in OR merely highlights the faults of MSTS.

#3 User is offline   markus_GE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:54 AM

I only got to know of the OpenRails sub-directory-possibility after the last version of DPU was released. This version, however, is not a final version yet, thus the X in it´s version number. The only reason it was released was to allow for customization of the data DPU uses, which was not available in earlier versions.

There is, for sure, a final DPU V3.0 (without the X) planned to become available still this year, and work will begin by July after I´m done with graduation. Feel free to post any wishes about things you would like to see in this version in the "official" DPU thread (there´s also one at TS).

The remark about the OpenRails sub-directory will in any event be given some attention! In the meantime, you can just run a file through DPU, move the files created to the OpenRails sub-folder manually, and restore the backup files DPU makes to their original folders (will need to revert file extension, for which a program is supplied to, in utils).

RE multiple files: You simply open up to windows explorer windows side by side, like you would do when using DPU with one file at a time. Then, in the window where you opened your locomotives' folder, you select all the .eng files you want DPU to update, and drag and drop them to the other window, on top of DPUMult.exe. Then follow the on-screen instructions. ATTENTION though: This will only work, if the multiple files are located withing one sub-folder of the trainset folder!

If anything remains unclear, feel free to ask in the official thread, or start your own and hope I will see it :)

Cheers, Markus

PS: A link to this thread was posted in the "official" DPU thread.

#4 User is offline   Eldorado.Railroad 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:01 PM

View Postmarkus_GE, on 05 May 2014 - 03:54 AM, said:

RE multiple files: You simply open up to windows explorer windows side by side, like you would do when using DPU with one file at a time. Then, in the window where you opened your locomotives' folder, you select all the .eng files you want DPU to update, and drag and drop them to the other window, on top of DPUMult.exe. Then follow the on-screen instructions. ATTENTION though: This will only work, if the multiple files are located withing one sub-folder of the trainset folder!

Markus,

I think I would update your docs on this website because this explains exactly how it should work!

Well, study hard and graduate FIRST! When you have the time, please update the utility such that it requires less gymnastics to work with OpenRails. I am sure that update will be most impressive. Great effort on your part.

Danke sehr Herr Gelbmann,

Steve

#5 User is offline   markus_GE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:40 AM

;) for the kind words, Steve. :)

Yep, graduation comes first, then anything else. I have come to realize already, however, that the documentation I outright "trew together" for the last release is worse than crappy. So maybe maybe next week, after the written exams are done, I´ll take the one or two hours it might take and reorganize, update and whatnot the existing documentation. Have had to deal with quite a bit of e-mailed requests too...

Cheers, Markus

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users