Elvas Tower: ORTS simply freezes up, no error message, sound keeps running - Elvas Tower

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ORTS simply freezes up, no error message, sound keeps running X2186 to 3008 Rate Topic: -----

#81 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 09 May 2015 - 01:04 PM

JeroenP, on 09 May 2015 - 08:11 AM, said:

On my PC (much stronger than my laptop), I see a strong decrease in performance at a certain point. It feels like throttling. And the performance indicators (F5 for showing the HUD and then some shift-F5 to get the proper debug windows. It happens when going past a 'wall of trees'.

It's quite likely that the GPU is out of memory and paging from system memory, which means transferring data from system->GPU every frame which sucks all the performance away.

#82 User is offline   Fred 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 09 May 2015 - 07:25 PM

JeroenP, on 09 May 2015 - 08:11 AM, said:

On my PC (much stronger than my laptop), I see a strong decrease in performance at a certain point. It feels like throttling. And the performance indicators (F5 for showing the HUD and then some shift-F5 to get the proper debug windows. It happens when going past a 'wall of trees'. This happens some 4 minutes out of Providence. See the pictures attached. There is on the right side a wall of trees that seems to be formed of many many trees. The throttling starts when the trees come into view, and is gone when the wall is past.

I have added 4 screen shots showing what I see (sorry for the large size). So my guess is that your graphics card (or perhaps the on-board graphics card) is simply not capable of handling this rather strange structure. It might help to look outside of the left window when passing this point.

Best regards, Jeroen.

Jeroen,

It looks like you are getting the same results that I am getting, including the screen shots. The only difference is that on my PC the screen freezes. Using the left window screen does let me pass the offending area. It is probably the poor quality of my video board.

What I am curious about is that this route runs with no problems using MSTS.

#83 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 18 May 2015 - 11:28 AM

Finally found time (and motivation) to once again run the activity, that has already caused so much frustration for me, and I made it past the point that has always caused problems. I´ve NOT YET run the whole activity, as I´m simply too tired today to keep going. Just thought I´ll update you on this problem. Will post another update when it´s 100% safe to call the issue "resolved" :whistling:

Cheers, Markus

#84 User is offline   vince 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:ORTS_Running MSTS_Editing

Posted 18 May 2015 - 11:41 AM

Fred, on 09 May 2015 - 07:25 PM, said:

Jeroen,It looks like you are getting the same results that I am getting, including the screen shots. The only difference is that on my PC the screen freezes. Using the left window screen does let me pass the offending area. It is probably the poor quality of my video board.

What I am curious about is that this route runs with no problems using MSTS.

Hi Fred,

ORTS requires a good video card. MSTS, not so much as most of the vid processing is carried out by the CPU.

My old XP machine running v0.9 OR with a Hyperthreading 3GHz cpu and a Nvidia 6500 video was only able to get 10 -15 fps with constant freezes as you describe.
My new i5quad core & GTX650 runs OR flawlessly.
regards,
vince

#85 User is offline   markus_GE 

Posted 19 May 2015 - 08:12 AM

Found another show stopper...
°
The path the train follows in my problem activity includes two reverse loops (180° turn to reverse direction). I never had problems going thru the 1st one (after Rob fixed a bug in the handling of loops about a year ago), but due to the problems mentioned above never made ti to the second one.

Now, being able to reach the second loop (@ Coronado Power Plant), I´m thrown in to TCSEmergencyBraking as soon as the rear of the train clears the diverging switch (start of the loop). After recovering from emergency (Ctrl+M) and continuing past the next signal (still in the loop), the same happened again.

Here´s the log file, which to me seems to indicate a signalling problem, see these three lines:

Warning: Request to clear signal 127 from train 0, signal already enabled for train 0

Warning: Request to clear signal 127 from train 0, signal already enabled for train 0

Attached File  OpenRailsLog.txt (14.96K)
Number of downloads: 172

What´s wrong here?

Cheers, Markus

#86 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 19 May 2015 - 11:05 AM

In route ATSF Gallup Subdivision I was able to freeze OR by generating a path that runs through a reverse loop, then through another one, then through the first again. When the train is inside the first loop for the second time, the game freezes.
So there is still some work to be done on loops. Maybe someone will volunteer within release 1.1.

#87 User is offline   markus_GE 

Posted 19 May 2015 - 11:44 AM

In my case, it was enough to have the path run from Gallup yard through the loop up the branch line heading north a few miles west of Gallup, then through the Coronado Power Plant´s loop about 60 miles (a rough guess only) west.

Cheers, Markus

#88 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President

Posted 19 May 2015 - 01:23 PM

Markus,
did you run part of the activity in AutoPilot mode?

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#89 User is offline   markus_GE 

Posted 20 May 2015 - 05:28 AM

roeter, on 19 May 2015 - 01:23 PM, said:

Markus,
did you run part of the activity in AutoPilot mode?

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

Yes

Cheers, Markus

#90 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President

Posted 20 May 2015 - 08:35 AM

markus_GE, on 20 May 2015 - 05:28 AM, said:

Yes

OK, that at least explains the rather cryptic warning :

When a signal is enabled by a train (which happens when the train requests to clear that signal), the signal is linked to that train through a reference to the train's class instance.
For AutoPilot, the train is of class AITrain, so the reference is to an instance of an AITrain.
When changing to normal control, the train changes to class Train.
So, somehow, when changing from AutoPilot to Normal, not all signals which were cleared at that moment are properly reset, and (at least) one signal remains enabled by what was the AutoPilot train. The reference to the AutoPilot AITrain instance does not match that to the normal Train instance, even though both have ident 0. So, when the train tries to clear that signal, the warning as shown above is issued.

How or why it happens that the signal is not reset is a different matter.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users