• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3DTS Tehachapi TE2_Meet_At_Walong_Night 1 Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   beresford 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:msts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:34 AM

The schtick is that shortly after the start of the scenario the player's train is to be held in the loop at Walong to allow oncoming uphill trains to pass. When running with ORX2137, the player's train is stopped at a red light at the entrance to the Walong loop underpass and then the AI train arrives and is also held at another red light at the other side of the underpass, creating a stalemate.

I then ran the scenario under MSTS and noticed that MSTS routes the player's train into the OUTSIDE track of the Walong loop whereas OR routes it into the INSIDE. I suspect that this is the cause of the problem.

#2 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:29 AM

beresford, on 21 April 2014 - 08:34 AM, said:

The schtick is that shortly after the start of the scenario the player's train is to be held in the loop at Walong to allow oncoming uphill trains to pass. When running with ORX2137, the player's train is stopped at a red light at the entrance to the Walong loop underpass and then the AI train arrives and is also held at another red light at the other side of the underpass, creating a stalemate.

I then ran the scenario under MSTS and noticed that MSTS routes the player's train into the OUTSIDE track of the Walong loop whereas OR routes it into the INSIDE. I suspect that this is the cause of the problem.

What's the status of Options/Experimental/Use location-linked passing path processing? Play around with that and see if it makes a difference. Shot in the dark or try running the newest X (2186?) released.

#3 User is offline   R H Steele 

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:13 PM

Ran the Walong activity in X2186 and meet at loop underpass ran just fine. Player does not take siding but instead stays on main. Player stops at red at tunnel entrance, waits. Signal changes to yellow for AI train. (signal at siding - end of player train) and AI passes Player using the siding. No changes to activity except needed to change message "Dispatcher 54 to BNSF 8255 WEST, prepare to take the siding at Walong, and hold for eastbound traffic. Over." to remove reference to take the siding. Activity was run with "Use location-linked passing path processing" and both "Curve Dependent Resistance and Speed boxes" checked.

#4 User is offline   R H Steele 

Posted 21 April 2014 - 04:00 PM

Ran the acitivity in X2137 and same result as X2186. Using location-linked passing path processing. Signal at siding exit changes to green for AI before it meets Player at tunnel entrance. AI takes siding, player stays on main. I do have some missing leads in the consist, have to check my shapes or tune OR a bit.

1st attached is wide angle from player EOT of Traffic exiting tunnel and passing player. (lightened a bit)

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: Walong1.JPG
  • Attached Image: Walong Missing.JPG

#5 User is offline   beresford 

• Fireman

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:34 AM

Thanks for trying this. I checked the box for 'location-linked passing path processing' (whatever THAT is) and indeed the AI train does now take the Loop. HOWEVER, isn't it a problem that OR puts the player train on the Main whereas MSTS puts it on the Loop? Isn't a gamestopper here now, but might be elsewhere. I also noted that in MSTS the train starts in motion whereas in OR it is stopped with the brakes on, but I suspect that is a known discrepancy.

I attach a screen-shot that shows that missing cars are not only a feature of the AI train but also the player train.

Attached Image: Open Rails 2014-04-22 11-21-19.png

#6 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:33 AM

beresford, on 22 April 2014 - 02:34 AM, said:

Thanks for trying this. I checked the box for 'location-linked passing path processing' (whatever THAT is) ...

It is what it says : the definition of passing paths is not linked to trains, but to locations.
For now, it means that all passing paths defined for the player train are also available to any other train.
This sorted the situation in this case as the passing for the player train was now available to the AI train.
This is only the first step : in it's final form, passing paths will not be defined in the train's paths anymore, but will indeed be defined as separate paths per location.

... and indeed the AI train does now take the Loop. HOWEVER, isn't it a problem that OR puts the player train on the Main whereas MSTS puts it on the Loop? Isn't a gamestopper here now, but might be elsewhere.

That's been discussed before.
The train control logic for OR is completely different from that in MSTS, and so differences in train behaviour will sometime occur. And, yes, it can even lead to situations where the activity will not work in OR.
But allready OR can do so much more w.r.t. AI trains (e.g. run them according to proper timetables, something MSTS never could), and many more functions are under development or planned, so this is a small price to pay for all that.
And any such situations can usually be corrected by changing AI timings or starting points.

I also noted that in MSTS the train starts in motion whereas in OR it is stopped with the brakes on, but I suspect that is a known discrepancy.

Yep, and one that is not going away anytime soon.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#7 User is offline   beresford 

• Fireman

Posted 28 April 2014 - 08:03 AM

After assurances that it was 'OK', I tried this Activity again. I noted that under MSTS two AI trains pass while you wait at Walong whereas under OR only one passes (I believe I met the other one at Rowen).

After the single AI train passed I got the green light and released the air brakes. I then rolled all the way to Rowen (no throttle needed) with almost continual wheelslip indications and beeps despite the fact that I was controlling speed using only air brakes and dynamic brakes, and with an indicated cab speed of 0 mph.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users