• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sound in OR Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:50 PM

Just be aware of that Audacity, at least last time I checked, is unable to deal with cue points. When you import and export a wav file from Audacity, the cue points will be lost.

#12 User is offline   Monty 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:25 PM

Hi GPZ I am not really up with all this wav and cue points files stuff, could you please elaborate on what are cue points and how does it affect sound in OR. From time to time in the past I have seen this cue point error in OR log file but only on a few MLT sound files. Since modifying my sound files in Audacity I have not seen any errors logged in OR regarding cue points in the modified sounds and they seem to sound ok in OR. Using latest version of Audacity. Cheers Ziggy

#13 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:02 AM

The problem is that, if Audacity does not correctly manage cue points (e.g. removing them from the saved file or changing their positions), OR won't give any error indication, because the sound file is formally correct, but it could not play as it should and therefore the sound effect could not be the desired one.
Goldwave manages cue points (I use it), but it's payware. I don't know if they still have a shareware version.

It must also be said that not all .wav files called from .sms files have cue points. In general cue points are within .wav files called by a StartLoopRelease () statement.

#14 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:47 AM

Ziggy,

Audacity has an internal file format other than wav format, thus if you open a wav file with it, make some edits and export it again, then a completely new wav file will be exported from the Audacity's internal format, with loosing all the meta-data (the cue points) set in the original wav file.

Generally, cue points are used at sound loops. In a simple case there are two cue points are defined within a wav file. When the sound is asked for looping, first the chunk from the beginning to the 1st cue point will be played, then the chunk between the 1st and 2nd cue point will be looped, and finally the chunk from the 2nd cue point to the end will close the sound.

If you edit sound files that do not need to be looped this way, there is no problem ignoring cue points. In this case the wav will be played from start to end continuously, without any warnings in log file.

#15 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:24 PM

GOOD to know Peter, thanks much.

#16 User is offline   Monty 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:01 PM

Thank you for the explanation of the cue points guys. I downloaded Goldwave and redid the freight car sounds from SLI and TigerTrains. I still had the originals (must keep backups). I can't believe it but they do sound better. I guess a couple of the sounds just weren't right because of the lack of cue points. Maybe they were not even playing in OR I am not sure. In particular I had a wav file I got from somewhere of a flat wheel that would not play right after amplification in Audacity but after redo in Goldwave it comes out really good. Gee it's great to get explanations and help with things you do not know or fully understand. Because of this I now have an OR that looks great, runs terrific and so smooth and now sounds really spot on. What more could you want?
Hi R H Steele, download the Goldwave program, you will be able to use it in trail mode with no restrictions to do what you need. It is so quick in batch mode . I doubled the volume of the sounds and it was right on the money for me. Thanks fellas Cheers Ziggy

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users