Elvas Tower: "Car with less than two axles/bogies (3 axles, 2 bogies)" error - Elvas Tower

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

"Car with less than two axles/bogies (3 axles, 2 bogies)" error And then they go missed... Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   PA1930 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:-

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:28 PM

Good evening everyone.

I've seen this error before, suposedly on a baddly configured wagon. I didn't really care about it but it starts to get a bit bothering.

This error, shown in the log file as: Warning: Car with less than two axles/bogies (3 axles, 2 bogies) in C:\MSTS_CZ\Train Simulator-CZ\trains\trainset\ets_Laekks\ets_Laekks292_prazdny.wag

If I keep driving the train and keep my camera near it, it's all okay... But if I go away from the train on camera 8, the wagon always disapears from it's place although the train remains "coupled" - only with an empty void. I've found sometimes, though, that the wagon is flying away in the sky, spinning around quickly.

I've also found that if I save the session and load it again, the wagon goes back into where it is supposed to be, but if I go away from the train, the wagon again goes missing.

I've had this problem with many/several versions before.

#2 User is offline   jonas 

• Engineer
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 16 April 2014 - 03:07 PM

Hello!

I think it would be desirable if bogies with one or none set of wheels would be allowed in OR. For some I built wagons and locomotives I have deliberately used bogies that have only one or none set of wheels. This way I can modify the behavior of vehicles in curves and better adjust the pivot-point of the model over the tracks.

http://www.p-circle.de/ElvasTower/bogies/bogies01.jpg

#3 User is offline   PA1930 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 16 April 2014 - 03:18 PM

By the way, if you want to try to reproduce the error, download the wagon ETS Laekks 292 on this site: http://trainset.simt...id=cou_naklvozy

#4 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:08 AM

View Postjonas, on 16 April 2014 - 03:07 PM, said:

I think it would be desirable if bogies with one or none set of wheels would be allowed in OR. For some I built wagons and locomotives I have deliberately used bogies that have only one or none set of wheels. This way I can modify the behavior of vehicles in curves and better adjust the pivot-point of the model over the tracks.

They are allowed, but anything that looks unusual/odd is warned about. If you have a specific locomotive that isn't working (irrespective of the warning), file a bug with download links.

#5 User is offline   PA1930 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:23 AM

I've filled a bug report myself. https://bugs.launchp...or/+bug/1308996

#6 User is offline   jonas 

• Engineer

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:55 AM

Truly I have no problem found with a bogie with no wheelset in OR. So a loco as shown in this picture is running fine in OR. http://www.p-circle.de/ElvasTower/bogies/bogies01.jpg

But if a bogie have only one wheelset I get a problem which I tryed to visualize here:
Flicflac-effect
I hope it illustrates the problem described above by PA1930.

#7 User is offline   PA1930 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:38 AM

View Postjonas, on 17 April 2014 - 07:55 AM, said:

But if a bogie have only one wheelset I get a problem which I tryed to visualize here:
Flicflac-effect
I hope it illustrates the problem descriped above by PA1930.

Yes, that is the same problem! Although I've only had the same kind of problem with wagons, it is that what happens to the wagon. Thanks for that video, Jonas! It helps explaining the problem I'm having with a couple of wagons.

#8 User is offline   jonas 

• Engineer

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:27 PM

A download with a consist to test the flicflac-effect:

Direct download: Consist for testing flicflac-problem

Via website: Consist for testing flicflac-problem

ReadMe.txt included in the zip-file.

#9 User is offline   jonas 

• Engineer

Posted 19 May 2014 - 04:03 AM

After exploring source code of OR:

I have this vehicle with two bogies, one with 2 axes and one with only 1 axle:
http://www.p-circle.de/ElvasTower/bogies/bogies03.jpg

Unlike in MSTS, Open Rails considers an 1-axle-bogie as an imperfection and connects therefore all 3 axes as main wheels to the vehicles main object. In this way, the bogies are not computed as moved parts but shown as rigid parts of the vehicle.

This happens in my eyes, at this lines in the code:
(OR Version 0.0.52.52.22738 -> RunActivity -> RollingStock -> TrainCar.cs -> SetUpWheels -> line 844):

// Put all the axles directly on the car, ignoring any bogies.
                foreach (WheelAxle w in WheelAxles)
                {
                    w.BogieIndex = 0;
                    w.Part = Parts[0];
                }

So my suggestion is to change the code by including an if-statement:

// Put all the axles directly on the car, ignoring any bogies.
                foreach (WheelAxle w in WheelAxles)
                {
                    if (w.Part.SumWgt < 1.5) //if bogie has less then 2 axes only  < - - - -
                    {
                        w.BogieIndex = 0;
                        w.Part = Parts[0];
                    }
                }

Thus, only the wheel of the 1-axle-bogie will be "nailed" to the vehicles main object, whereas the 2-axes-bogie is still treated as a bogie and swings correct along the curves.
I tried it and it seems to work. However, I can't overlook all the consequences in the code (inspite staring at the debugged code for days and tried to explore objects like "WheelAxles" and "w.Part.SumWgt" :-)). Maybe there are some other consequences about the physical behavior of the wheels. I hope there are none.

Why I use bogies with 1 or even none axes at all instead of main wheels? Indeed, in MSTS it is a good way to lead a vehicle along the rails with two bogies. Better than to have only 1 bogie and some main wheels. Some of my steam locomotives often even have a hidden second bogie with no wheels connected (see post #2). It is only to lead the locomotive in an underailed look on the tracks in MSTS.

It not only concerns to my 3D-models. "PA1930" reported here in post #3 of the wagon "ETS Laecks 292" where the main object of the wagon is only of 2 polygons and the whole rest of the wagon is of two bogies, one with 2 and one with 1 axle. This wagon has a rigid look while running on the tracks in OR because of the "nailed" axes and rigid bogies.

http://www.p-circle.de/ElvasTower/bogies/ETS_Laecks_292.jpg

Best regards,
Jonas

#10 User is offline   captain_bazza 

• Chairman, Board of Directors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 19 May 2014 - 04:39 AM

Thanks for the headsup on this one; it's an important problem that should be given a priority fix, IMO.

Cheers Bazza

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users