Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Time of the Day 8:00 P.M. too dark outside Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   jpmackay 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: R.I.P. or just Retired

Posted 13 April 2014 - 11:51 AM

I have a question about the time of day for one of the payware route, CNBala ver. 2. With one activity that I chose to simulate is CN_Q11531 and the time of departure is at 8:00 p.m. with the season of Autumn. I was surprised to see that with Open Rails already very dark outside. But the other program of Microsoft Train Simulator with the same time at 8:00 p.m. it start getting dark and you will notice the stars above. I am not sure if you have noticed this yourself about this activity in two different programs. I know with Open Rails -- it's ongoing development simulator but just wondering if you know about this.

cheers,

John

#2 User is online   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 13 April 2014 - 11:59 AM

A long time ago the passage of the sun was set to match some location in Wisconsin with one select day per season being matched. I dunno if that is still present. I do know that OR doesn't do twilight (there being 3 "bands" where the sun is 6, 12, and 18d below the horizon). IMO this is a big gap in the lighting logic with the result that there is quite a bit more darkness than there should be.

#3 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 13 April 2014 - 12:44 PM

I believe OR calculates the sun position based on the latitude/longitude of the route and the season. It doesn't really matter what MSTS does in this instance - OR isn't trying to copy that. Whether the calculations used are right is something I have not checked.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users