• You cannot reply to this topic

Dispatcher information, explanation Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Sven 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Aerosoft

Posted 07 April 2014 - 04:51 AM

Hi
When I get stuck at a stop signal because the AI train blocks the path I found it useful to look at the HUD dispatcher information. Then I do get some notion of what goes on in my surrounding. Problem is that this info is rather confusing, with a lot of columns. I've tried to guess, but what is the significance of the columns AI mode, AI data, mode, Auth, Dist, and Dist again, and Path?
Can I use this info to assess whether I just have to wait for the AI to move, or just give up the play?

REgards

Sven

#2 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:06 AM

I certainly can't remember all the details of this screen, but I believe that the numbers in parentheses in the paths are other trains. Hence, if you follow the player train's path (always the first one and always ID 0) you can see if there's any AI just ahead of you, and which one it is. Then look at that line and see what it is up to. IIRC the AI data is AAA&BBB where AAA is acceleration and BBB is braking, when the train is moving. When it's stopped at a station stop, it shows either the departure time or the time it is waiting for. That may be enough to know what's going on but I'm sure there's more I've forgotten.

#3 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:55 AM

Hmm, I though there was a document which describes this somewhere, but I can't find it.
But, here is some info in a nutshell :

• Train : Internal train number, with P=Passenger and F=Freight.

• Travelled : distance travelled.
    Gives a indication if all is well. If a train started an hour ago and 'travelled' is still 0.0, something's clearly wrong.

• Speed : present speed.

• Max : max. allowed speed.

• AI Mode : gives an indication of what the train is 'doing'.
    Possible states :
    • INI : train is initializing. Normally you would not see this.
    • STP : train is stopped other than in a station. The reason for the stop is shown in "Authority".
    • BRK : train is preparing to stop. Does not mean it is actually braking, but it 'knows' it has to stop, or at least reduce speed, soon.
      Reason, and distance to the related position, are shown in "Authority" and "Distance".
    • ACC : train is accelerating, either away from a stop or because of a raise in allowed speed.
    • RUN : train is running at allowed speed.
    • FOL : train is following another train in the same signal section.
      Its speed is now derived from the speed of the train ahead.
    • STA : train is stopped in station.
    • WTP : train is stopped at waiting point.
    • EOP : train is approaching end of path.

• AI data : shows throttle and brake positions when train is running, but shows departure time (booked) when train is stopped at station or waiting point.

• Mode : SIGN (signal) or NODE - same as for player train.
    EDIT : when relevant, this field also shows delay (in minutes), e.g. S+05 mean Signal mode, 5 mins. delay.

• Auth : End of "authorization" info - that is, the reason why the train is preparing to stop or slow down.
    Possible reasons are :
    • SPDL : speed limit imposed by speedsign.
    • SIGL : speed limit imposed by signal.
    • STOP : signal set at state "STOP".
    • REST : signal set at state "RESTRICTED" (train is to reduce speed at approaching this signal).
    • EOA : end of authority - generally only occurs in non-signalled routes or area, where authority is based on NODE mode and not SIGNAL mode.
    • STAT : station or waiting point.
    • TRAH : train ahead.
    • EOR : end of train's route, or subroute in case the train approaches a reversal point.

• Distance : distance to the authority location.

• Signal : aspect of next signal (if any).

• Distance : distance to this signal.
    Note that if signal state is STOP, and it is the next authority limit, there is a difference of about 30m. between authority and signal distance. This is the 'safety margin' that AI trains keep to avoid accidently passing a singal at danger.

• Consist : the first bit of the train's consist name.

• Path : the state of the train's path.
    The figure left of the "=" sign is the train's present subpath counter : a train's path is split into subpaths when its path contains reversal or waiting points.
    The details between { and } are the actual path.
    Following the final } can be x<N>, this indicates that at the end of this path the train will move on to the subpath as indicated.

Path details :
    The path shows all trackcircuit sections which build this train's path. Trackcircuit sections are bounded by nodes, signals or cross-overs, or end-of-track.
    Each section is indicated by its type :
    • - is plain train section.
    • > is switch (no distinction is made for facing or trailing switch).
    • + is crossover.
    • [ is end-of-track.

Following each section is the section state. Numbers in this state refer to the train numbers as shown at the start of each row.
    Below, <n> indicates a such a number.
    • <n> section is occupied by train <n>.
    • (<n>) section is reserved for train <n>.
    • # (either with <n> or on its own) section is claimed by a train which is waiting for a signal.
    • & (always in combination with <n>) section is occupied by more than one train.
    • deadlock info (always linked to a switch node) :
      • * pssible deadlock location - start of a single track section shared with a train running in opposite direction.
      • ^ active deadlock - train from opposite direction is occupying or has reserved at least part of the common single track section.
        Train will be stopped at this location - generally at the last signal ahead of this node.
      • ~ active deadlock at that location for other train - can be significant as this other train can block this train's path.

When you know how to interpret the information which is shown here, it can help a great deal in sorting out AI problems.
Note that when changes are introduced to AI train control, this info can also change.

Hope this helps,
Rob Roeterdink

#4 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 19 April 2014 - 02:05 AM

I got an RSW (I believe as end of authorization). Its train stayed at speed 0, but its state continuously moved from BRK to STOP to something other. Any hint about this?

#5 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President

Posted 19 April 2014 - 02:52 AM

RSW is Reversed SWitch, which means that ahead of the train is a switch which is against this train and claimed / reserved / occupied by another train, and this is indeed the end of authority for this train.
The continuous switching between STOP and BRAKE does happen sometimes if, in STOP state, the train assumes it can proceed but, when doing so, still finds it's way blocked.
It looks odd but does no harm - as soon as the 'block' lifts (i.e. the switch is cleared by the other train), state will return to normal and the train will continue on it's path.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#6 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 19 April 2014 - 03:01 AM

Thanks Rob! By the way on single-track routes and using passing paths and AI trains with timetable set by MSTS AE, I could get correct meets and even train overtakings without any trick. Very well done!

#7 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:51 AM

Something comes to mind reading about the FOL parameter... in North America there is a concept called Sections which means multiple trains operating (pretty much) as-if they were one very long train. These are almost always passenger trains and they were operating under Timetable authority. The timetable would show only one train, one schedule, w/o regard to how many sections might exist. The individual sections (trains) are normally marked with flags... all but the last section has green flags or lights; the last is unmarked. Because the green indicators tell everyone more sections are following AND that sections operate as one logical train the passing of the last, unmarked section tells everyone all sections have passed. IOW they don't need to know how many sections there are, just to wait until an unmarked one follows all the green marked ones.

AFAIK all trains that must clear for the first section do so until all sections have passed.

Sections are called by their serial order of running, plus train number. Ex: "First 24" means the first section of train number 24. "Third 24" means the third section, etc.

AFAIK the initial order given to following sections is something along the lines of "Engine 4952 run as Second 24, 20 minutes late, A to Z), which means follow the timetable except that that section should be 20 minutes after the printed times between locations A and Z.

The FOL parameter suggests the same type of authority granted to 2nd and subsequent sections but here's some differences:

• Not all sections will be found within the same signal block... they can be spread out.
  • On occasion a dispatcher will have cause to end a section. I suspect that occurs at a diverging route. All following sections are to adjust their section number accordingly. And so if "Second 24" is terminate because it heads off on another route, "Third 24" changes it's name to "Second 24".
  • On occasion a following section will be ordered to take the lead. It becomes "First 24" and what was "First 24" will become "whatever 24" based on it's new order in the section list.

Perhaps only the first item, above is relevant to the software.

I do not know of any situations where one section stops at a station and the others do not.

I think you need to add something akin to "Train Authority" with parameters for

• Order Number ( a serial number for internal use only) For future Use.
  • Class (1 to n with something at the end to designate Extras and then in last place Work Extras).
  • Direction (North / South, East / West).
  • Section Number (zero if no other sections, 1 to n if there are sections).

With those in place you can review the input data and report any violations to normal practice so the author can fix his data (e.g., when 2 trains are to be in a station area at the same time has the inferior one been instructed to take the secondary path? Has the inferior train been specified to wait for all sections?). Stuff like that.

#8 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:47 AM

Thanks for the interesting info.
It looks particularly suited for the 'timetable' mode at which I'm working at the moment, and I will certainly have a look of how this can be included.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#9 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 13 November 2014 - 01:42 PM

Thread Spiked for future reference, in order to help reduce problems such as this one.

Cheers, Markus
Admin

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users