Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

CP Mactier first train meet -- strange!! Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   jpmackay 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: R.I.P. or just Retired

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:59 AM

Have a question about trying to figure out why is Open Rails not letting the player train go into siding before the first meet with AI southbound train? This morning I run both programs with Open Rails and Microsoft Train Simulator with the same route and activity too. In Open Rails I don't know why is the northbound player train not going into siding with 10 M.P.H. and wait for the meet? The player ran right on main track to a stop before the meet. Now with Micorosft Train Simulator the northbound player train go right into the siding with 10 M.P.H. and come to a stop with a signal to wait for an southbound AI train go by on main track. In Open Rails both the northbound player train and first southbound AI train come to a stop with their signals in red both on the main track. I did not change anything with the activity in Microsoft Train Simulator Editor and Tools program. That's strange between both programs with the exact same activity. Maybe the team of Open Rails development team should look into this to see why is the player train not going to siding as it should be before the meet? Or do I have to put all the passing paths in each siding of this route for Open Rails? Let me know about this.

John

#2 User is offline   jpmackay 

• Conductor

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:34 PM

I don't know if you get my point about the meet in two different programs like Microsoft Train Simulator works and Open Rails dones't work. That's what I am talking about my previous message above. And surprised to see no one answer this yet maybe too early and hopefully get the answer in a few days.

John

#3 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:51 PM

Just a piece of information: OpenRails uses totally different algorithms for dispatching than MSTS, so comparing the behavior of them is pointless. So it is possible to talk about why a train goes or not to a siding in OR, but the way it behaves in MSTS has absolutely no influence on OpenRails logic.

#4 User is offline   jpmackay 

• Conductor

Posted 28 March 2014 - 06:12 AM

Oh ok and want to say thank you to Peter for reply to my message.

John

#5 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 28 March 2014 - 10:18 AM

I don't know if you get my point about the meet in two different programs like Microsoft Train Simulator works and Open Rails dones't work. That's what I am talking about my previous message above. And surprised to see no one answer this yet maybe too early and hopefully get the answer in a few days.

Patience, patience, please.
We do have a life to live away from Open Rail, you know :book2: :burp: :sign_thanks: :) :lol: .

Without the route and the activity it is hard to say what exactly happens, but in general, such a situation can be causes by one of these situations :

• The moment the activity starts and the player train is 'placed', the AI train has allready cleared its path through the position of the player train. As a result, the player train has no valid path (a section of track can be allocated to one train only), and therefor cannot set the switch into the passing loop.
    Remedy : start the AI train a bit later, or a bit further away.

• The AI train is started within approx. 15 seconds before the start of the activity. Unfortunately, there is a 'black hole' of about 10 secs. before the start of the activity and any AI train started in that period is not 'seen' by the system when the path of the player train is checked, cleared and set. This can result is a path conflict.
    Remedy : start the AI train a little earlier and/or further away.

• Both AI train and player train have a 'passing path' defined in this location, but the 'passing path' for one train is the 'main path' for the other. This will result in a deadlock as described.
    Remedy : check both train's paths and correct if necessary.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#6 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:54 AM

Rob, John was kind enough to send me the activity and route information. I am going to run it this weekend. Will post information in this thread. Now go back to the party. :birthday-cake2::discuss_gathering::fiesta:

#7 User is offline   R H Steele 

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:09 PM

All good, after looking at the activity the simplest and easiest thing to do was to try it with the passing path processing turned on (box checked). The meet worked fine -- with a difference from msts. An activity message indicated the player train would take the siding and stop. Instead, OR moved the traffic to the siding, player on mainline still had a red signal - it went green as soon as AI cleared switch. All worked fine. I've included a couple of screenshots.

Incidentally a passing path had been picked at this siding (Bolton - SLI CP Mactier - activity from original Kenneth Shannon Mactier 1.5 route "Northbound Manifest")
Player path went through siding
Traffic path on mainline

Also attached are screenshots of the Activity Editor, Dispatch Window, and others that I took to see what was going on before making any changes. If anyone is curious.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: Bolton Green.JPG
  • Attached Image: Bolton Red.JPG

Attached File(s)

#8 User is offline   R H Steele 

Posted 29 March 2014 - 11:57 PM

Another note, the traffic train speeds through the siding (limit is 10mph) at about 35 to 50, anyway to slow him down? The speed setting in the route editor is only for start and stop speed, so is this route connected?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users