• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

High voltage circuit breaker Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:57 AM

Just one thing : if you create certain situations where the system switches things off and the 'driver' is supposed to switch it back on again, please take care of AI trains - these use the same MSTSLocomotive code but obviously have no driver to switch things back on again.
So either things should not be switched off, or should be switched back on automatically.
But, on the other hand, if the system switches things both off and back on, then it should also apply to AI trains.
Also, consideration could be given to situations where the driver is supposed to switch things off and on, and create a 'virtual' driver for AI trains.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#12 User is offline   Serana 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:14 AM

Small survey :

For AI trains, do you think it is better to have a virtual driver or maintain the current behaviour.
Also, do you think the AI trains should use TCS scripts ?

#13 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:31 AM

Indeed, maybe we should disable the TCS scripts for AI trains, and drive them in the standard MSTS way. Enabling the TCS script for them might lead to problems...

#14 User is offline   Serana 

• Conductor

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:57 AM

I guess we'll have to do the same for other players' trains in multiplayer mode.

Edit : But we can have a limited AI driver in order to simulate the power cut at neutral sections or to lower the pantograph at voltage change sections. That way, it will be ready when we'll implement transponders.

#15 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:34 AM

I'm fine with the decision not to apply TCS scripts to AI trains - there is no driver to react to it anyway. The same applies to Remote trains in MP mode.
So, in all, TCS scripting is only applied to the Player Train.

As for any other actions : just make sure there are no 'accidental' actions performed on AI trains which would take them out of proper control. I have had plenty of problems getting the AI trains to behave properly, so I know it's a rather tricky subject.

By the way, if you do implement any actions on AI please let me know so I can check on the effect it has on AI control.
For instance, at present if an AI train is accelerating but it doesn't get moving fast enough, the program 'overrides' the normal physics and applies a default acceleration - this is to avoid that AI trains get stuck due to lack of power (admittedly, that would be realistic but not very practical for many existing activities). But if you break the power for a neutral section, the acceleration should not be forced as that would completely negate the effect of the power break. So, AI control would need to know if that power break is applied.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#16 User is offline   Serana 

• Conductor

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:41 AM

Ok, so for now, it will be reserved to player's train.

I will start think about adapting it to AI trains when we'll have the transponders.

#17 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:02 AM

I don't see why the TCS scripting should not be applied to remote player trains in a multiplayer environment. There is a real player there which would like to drive the trains accordingly to national rules, so, unless there are problems difficult to be solved, I suggest to have TCS scripting applied also such trains, while I agree that AI trains may be managed accordingly to the actual logic.

#18 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:31 AM

View PostCsantucci, on 24 March 2014 - 06:02 AM, said:

I don't see why the TCS scripting should not be applied to remote player trains in a multiplayer environment.

Because the scripting is allready applied to that train as Player Train on that player's own computer.
Applying it also on the Remote Train on somebody else's computer will only mess things up.
Any Remote Train always has to be a Player Train on somebody's computer otherwise it could not exist.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#19 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:36 AM

You're the expert and I'm not it, but I see that now remote player trains have to obey to standard MSTS TCS/signalling rules, so somehow somewhere the fact that they are player trains is managed. What would be the conceptual difference in having them obeying to ORTS TCS rules?

By the way I welcome the addition of the management of main circuit breaker and maybe also of the ventilation.

#20 User is offline   Serana 

• Conductor

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:01 AM

On your computer, the script will be executed only on your train.
The remote train you see in your simulator will be controlled by OR algorithm.

But on the computer of your friend, his TCS script will be executed for his train only.

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users