• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Heavy aliasing/shimmering in later ORX releases Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Metro4001 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 17 March 2014 - 06:30 AM

I have the latest ORX release, 2106, and no matter what I do I cannot get rid of the on screen shimmering. It's not just a minor annoyance, it's bad. Very bad. It could light a Christmas tree. To make sure it wasn't a general PC issue, I restored an old ORX release, 1977, and fired it up using the global profiles for both Nvidia Control Panel and Nvidia Inspector. Release 1977 was shimmer free though operating at a lower framerate (mid 30s to upper 40s) while release 2106 at the same settings was at max FPS but the shimmering was unbearable. It makes OR unplayable. I noticed the shimmering issues as early as release 2045 but I was able to get them under control for the most part. Release 2099 and the newest, 2106, there is no amount of AA or SGSSAA that can control the issue. Any help would be appreciated.

#2 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 17 March 2014 - 06:43 AM

Unfortunately, it's a problem with the graphics drivers not correctly mapping textures on to blended surfaces. I am aware of it but I don't believe OR itself is doing anything wrong.

#3 User is offline   Metro4001 

• Fireman

Posted 17 March 2014 - 06:58 AM

Ah so this is a known issue? Hopefully the next few releases will rectify it. I'm trying to remember the major differences between 1977 and the latest versions to see if it would be worth going back.

#4 User is offline   Metro4001 

• Fireman

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:43 PM

Using ORX 1977 and 2045 I noticed that they are very harsh on the GPU, harsher than I remember previous releases. To test this theory I dredged up yet another OR, so old I don't have the release version number. It is from 11/2013. I pretty much maxed out SSAA using a 57 car train, all unique rolling stock, on MacTier and received 20-24 FPS in a forested area using 1977 and 2045. Using the 11/2013 release, same settings and test bed, I maxed out at 60 FPS with the same image quality. Strange.

This isn't the first time this has happened. A year or so ago OR took a major dive in FRs as the team worked on simulation aspects and sound. After a few X releases things were back to normal and I expect it to be the same this go around.

#5 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:58 PM

FPS depends on an enormous number of things, so it's impossible to guess what you've experienced on MacTier, but screenshots of the HUD (F5) DEBUG page from both versions would be the place to start. (It's also worth noting that there are certain changes in behaviour that reduce FPS to get better visuals, which currently don't have any options.)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users