• You cannot reply to this topic

Question on Braking - Steam Locomotives Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 16 March 2014 - 06:41 AM

Hi Folks,

Was running an activity on Donner Pass last night - the activity had me drop my train on the main and do a car pickup from a siding... Lots of switching to "Manual Mode" and [Tabs] to clear a red signal without tripping the emergency brakes (should steam engines do this ?) had to do a run around to get the cars behind the locomotive clearing more signals... Finally had my train back in one piece - used the [/] to hook up the air - applied max air - waited for it to release - yet the actual cars would never leave then "Emergency" in the HUD and I couldn't move the train again".. I tried disconnection and reconnecting - no joy... I tried the [Shift] [/] while connected to reset the brakes - still no joy... Had to end the activity because it wouldn't move... Am I doing something wrong or have some gross conceptual error on how to work this ?

Regards,
Scott

#2 User is offline   Sven 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Aerosoft

Posted 16 March 2014 - 08:42 AM

View Postscottb613, on 16 March 2014 - 06:41 AM, said:

Hi Folks,

Was running an activity on Donner Pass last night - the activity had me drop my train on the main and do a car pickup from a siding... Lots of switching to "Manual Mode" and [Tabs] to clear a red signal without tripping the emergency brakes (should steam engines do this ?) had to do a run around to get the cars behind the locomotive clearing more signals... Finally had my train back in one piece - used the [/] to hook up the air - applied max air - waited for it to release - yet the actual cars would never leave then "Emergency" in the HUD and I couldn't move the train again".. I tried disconnection and reconnecting - no joy... I tried the [Shift] [/] while connected to reset the brakes - still no joy... Had to end the activity because it wouldn't move... Am I doing something wrong or have some gross conceptual error on how to work this ?

Regards,
Scott

Hi
I was just above to ask the forum a similar problem, though for a diesel engine on a goods train. The loco could not move the train a single meter starting from the platform. Noticed there was not any EOT BP reading. I connected the brake hose with ' and it apparently started to fill, but ended up with a negative air pressure, like EOT BP -102. And of course it would not move this time either. Negative pressure, how come? What did I do wrong? I disconnected the loco and it was running just fine, solo.

Regards

Sven

#3 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:15 AM

Hi Sven,

Yeah - sounds similar - I could be doing something wrong though as I'm no expert...

Regards,
Scott

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users