• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Articulated Steam LocomotiveS OR .eng files Discussion Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   apostle282 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Inactive
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:17 AM

Anyone have a way to either combine the .eng files for articulated locos , for purposes of simple/accurate weight, driver weight, mass , friction , boiler, cylinder , fire , regulator parameters , this will also make it easier to edit .eng files.
I have been doing some edits to my articulated locos an i realized that for example adhesion lets say for example is based off of weight then i would have to split the weight in half for an articulated loco because its two .eng files thus splitting the adhesion also i end up with the same amount of adhesion total combined between the two .eng files however i lose half of my weight because OR calculates each .eng individually so now i have two locomotive with half the weight of the actual locomotive ,but on the other hand if i add the correct weight to both locos i double the actual weight of the locomotive again not very accurate or practical .
is there another much more simpler way?
any thoughts suggestions ....

#2 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:56 AM

Articulated engines are not easy things to work with. They are split into two sections for ease of modelling, but that does not make for easy physics calculations. Yes, weight and thus adhesive weight can be split between two units which would be correct. The hard part comes in how does one then work out the steam water and fuel usage because the real thing only has one boiler, but the trainsim version has two, one for each section of the model.

I think the only way forward is to develop a code set that combines the two required elements in some way and thus allows for a single eng file strictly for OR use.

#3 User is offline   apostle282 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Inactive
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:45 AM

yes you are correct, I agree and i hope that is in the works or at least being considered !

#4 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:45 PM

The above is correct but for geared locomotives with a tender I usually add 2/3rds of the tender weight to the locomotive then treat the tender as unpowered.
For normal articulateds, mallets and garrets (no one has yet done a kitson meyer, Note 1), split most parameters in half between each unit.

Note 1, A model of a Kitson, R S & H built 2-8-8-2 Meyer now there would be a good NG model. The loco's, 2 were built in 1935 and were still being used in 1961. 3 ft gauge weighing around 130 tons and was also a very good looking loco. It essentially was a longer 2-6-6-2 loco built by Kitson only for the same railway. A number of good photos and some drawings exist of both loco's.

Lindsay

#5 User is offline   ATW 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS Open Rails

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:25 PM

Kind of what my idea pointed to before.... jointed together wag eng files making a single car or engine.
http://www.elvastowe...ar-number-idea/

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users