grey screen Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:39 AM

View Postroeter, on 15 March 2014 - 09:22 AM, said:

Something is going wrong with an AI train somehow wandering off it's path.
Could you please try and make a screenshot which includes the dispatcher hud information just before the program stops?
Could you also please check if an AI train is due start at the time the screen goes blank - and if so, try and see what happens if you remove that particular AI train from the traffic?

Thanks,
Rob Roeterdink

Thanks Rob, will do. When I looked at the log I thought it had something to do with AI trains. Will post info required and also poke around a bit.

#12 User is offline   R H Steele 

Posted 15 March 2014 - 11:41 AM

Here's some stuff, Think it is AI Train 36F (BN GR3 AI5 - how do you find the relationship Train 36F to actual service or consist? ). Attached shot of Dispatch HUD (is this the correct one needed?) and a shot of the dispatch window centered on an AI at DeBeque siding - I think this is the troublemaker. Got to go. Saturday and the weather is fine.

AI Start times and other info
BN GR3 AI 1.srv BN GR3 AI 2.con, BN GR3 AI 1.pat 15:0:0
BN GR3 AI 2.srv BN GR3 AI 1.con, BN GR3 AI 2.pat 15:45:0
BN GR3 AI 3.srv, BN GR3 AI 3.con, BN GR3 AI 3.pat 16:50:0
BN GR3 AI 4.srv, BN GR3 AI 4.con, BN GR3 AI 4.pat 17:10:0
BN GR3 AI 5.srv, BN GR3 AI 5.con, BN GR3 AI 5.pat 18:0:0

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: BN G85.JPG
  • Attached Image: BN G85 DeBeque.jpg

#13 User is offline   R H Steele 

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:20 PM

BN G85 AI5 has a waiting point and reverse in the path outside of DeBeque going towards end of main at Glenwood Springs - End of Path. I am going to remove them (or rewrite path) and see if that helps.

[from Csantucci in ORTS Trackviewer} >>> In the MSTS track editor, if you want to remove a reverse point, you put a new end of the path before of the reverse point, then you remove such end of path and correct the path from that point on. If you want to remove a couple of nearby reverse points you mark them for deletion, drag one of them in a opposite position referring to the other one (if it was first on the path, you make it second on the path), and then you delete both reverse points with the standard node deletion procedure. Done. The rest of the path remains untouched.

#14 User is offline   R H Steele 

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:30 PM

Appears that BN G85 AI5 path has a reverse and waiting point near DeBeque siding. End of Path is on main at End of Route - past Glenwood Springs,. Will remove both reverse and waiting point - see if that solves the problem.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: Bn G85 AI5 PATH.jpg

#15 User is offline   R H Steele 

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:56 PM

I did not remove waiting and reverse points. AI5 has the same path as AI4 with the addition of the waiting and reverse points. Both start and end at the same place. So I just changed AI5 to use the AI4 path. Probably the reverse and waiting point were some sort of trick or kludge to make the activity work in MSTS (kludge - new word I learned here - love it). Probably not needed in OR. I am going to rerun the activity and see what happens.

" Knowing myself, there's a good probability I'm barking at the bottom of the wrong tree"

#16 User is offline   R H Steele 

Posted 15 March 2014 - 07:13 PM

Activity now works, no grey screen. AI5 (Train 36F) now clears DeBeque. Player Train completes activity.

I've repackaged the activity as bn685-1OR.zip and attached same here. I suppose I should send a copy to original creators (polite protocol), someone please take a look at the OR Solution.txt in the Docs folder and see if I should change anyrthing - advice welcome. Also, anyone willing to download and run it to make sure I have not bungled the whole thing?

Edit: March 17, 2014 - I was not quite satisfied with the first changes on did, so I cleaned it up a but. Activity now performs closer to original. No grey screen, Player start point and path are the same as in original, loose consist change in yard and change to BN GR3 AI1 path. All around a better solution. I prefer not to call these "activity fixes" but rather OpenRails solutions.
I removed the activity from this thread and it is now posted under Downloads>Activities>bn685-1OR.zip

#17 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:41 PM

Arghhh, those :clapping: waiting points :D . Looks like the combination of waiting point and reversal point within the same section is causing the trouble. Might have a look at that one day if I have time to spare :cool3: .

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#18 User is offline   asteph627 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:open rails

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:49 PM

View PostR H Steele, on 14 March 2014 - 04:03 PM, said:

Mr Stephany, a question ... the default activity (as downloaded) starts with player just outside glenwood springs yard (other side of bridge) at a red signal - approaching AI (BN GR3 AI 2) has the track. However, since the player train is approx 100 cars and is sitting on the track the AI must use, the AI must stop and cannot proceed to clear the signal --- What did you change to start the activity? Consist length, starting point of path, AI start times? Any number of changes (one or more) would remove the deadlock. Because of the differences in the way OR and MSTS interprets information the activity probably starts differently in MSTS. I'll make a change to start it properly in ORTS -- gotta look at the route, paths, and traffic info first and then run the activity.

I have not changed anything in the activity. The activity starts with consist in fron t of Glenwood Depot. I proceed through Glenwood across the bridge and pass through the yard and don't meet the first AI train until reaching the signal at the end of the yard.

Aj

#19 User is offline   R H Steele 

Posted 16 March 2014 - 02:47 PM

View Postasteph627, on 16 March 2014 - 12:49 PM, said:

I have not changed anything in the activity. The activity starts with consist in fron t of Glenwood Depot. I proceed through Glenwood across the bridge and pass through the yard and don't meet the first AI train until reaching the signal at the end of the yard.

Aj

That is possibly because you are running V09, there have been major changes to switching, signalling, and the ways in which OR interprets data. I don't know enough (nor understand much of the discussion) to explain. But, it's for the good and makes for a more solid, reliable, realistic experience. Something activities can be built upon without resorting to undocumented fudging. You can download bn685-1OR.zip, attached above if you decide to run the most current experimental ( give it a try). If you stick with V09 you will have to change the path of BN G85 AI5 to use the same path as BN G85 AI4, that should solve the grey screen problem. Good Luck

#20 User is offline   asteph627 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:open rails

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:45 AM

View PostR H Steele, on 16 March 2014 - 02:47 PM, said:

That is possibly because you are running V09, there have been major changes to switching, signalling, and the ways in which OR interprets data. I don't know enough (nor understand much of the discussion) to explain. But, it's for the good and makes for a more solid, reliable, realistic experience. Something activities can be built upon without resorting to undocumented fudging. You can download bn685-1OR.zip, attached above if you decide to run the most current experimental ( give it a try). If you stick with V09 you will have to change the path of BN G85 AI5 to use the same path as BN G85 AI4, that should solve the grey screen problem. Good Luck

I wish to thank all involved in this. I tested the activity on the latest experimental version and it worked perfectly. THANK YOU ALL!!!!!! Also a special thanks to R H Steele for his help on downloading the experimental version. I am now a 100% OR user and will no longer use MSTS to run my activities. Thanks again everyone.

AJ

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users