Elvas Tower: Curve Speed Limit - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Curve Speed Limit Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 03 March 2014 - 02:31 AM

View PostCsantucci, on 02 March 2014 - 09:15 AM, said:

And moreover, I was driving a tilting train, that is allowed to run faster in curves. So I ask to remove such strings or at least to allow to disable them.

Can you provide some info around the scenario that you were running.

What route is it?
Is it a passenger only route?
What is the speed limit?
What is the minimum curve radius?
What was the train?

Thanks

#12 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 03 March 2014 - 06:37 AM

I don't know if it can be of help, but I answer:
- Route is Tirrenica Meridionale V2, downloadable from here http://www.trainsimh...oad.php?did=545
- it is a passenger/freight route
- general speed limit is 165 Km/h, but of course there are various lower speed limits in the route. Tilting trains in general are allowed a higher speed around 15 Km/h (very roughly said)
- I don't know
- trainset can be downloaded from here http://www.trainsimh...oad.php?did=378 (consist is included).

#13 User is offline   Matej Pacha 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 03 March 2014 - 07:59 AM

I suggest:
1) make the visibility of these warnings optional
2) 2nd option would be displaying warnings when the speed is exceeded by 10% in a curve
3) 3rd option would be displaying some kind of present computation, but if a curve radius is too small to the route speed limit, a warning would be placed into OpenRailsLog.txt. The speed limit warning would be displayed only if the superelevation calculation vs. current speed limit is OK and the train speed is above it.

For tilting trains - the centre of gravity should be much lower, thus the calculation should be ok for them.

Cheers,

Matej

#14 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:06 AM

View PostCsantucci, on 03 March 2014 - 06:37 AM, said:

I don't know if it can be of help, but I answer:
- Route is Tirrenica Meridionale V2, downloadable from here http://www.trainsimh...oad.php?did=545
- it is a passenger/freight route
- general speed limit is 165 Km/h, but of course there are various lower speed limits in the route. Tilting trains in general are allowed a higher speed around 15 Km/h (very roughly said)
- I don't know
- trainset can be downloaded from here http://www.trainsimh...oad.php?did=378 (consist is included).

Thanks for the feedback.

I will download it and have a look at it.

Cheers

#15 User is offline   RTP 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:17 AM

I think that most of the curves in MSTS routes are irreal.

Small radius, no transitions, etc.

And then this discussion es empty.

Regarda.

#16 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:27 PM

A couple of points.........

As to the accuracy of the route, it likely depends on who has done the route and what data was availible. I know of one route (Adelaide Hill and SE) at least where both the curve and gradient data general checks out with the lines profile. Although even in this route due to limitations in MSTS's route editor there are some errors.

A second point is on some railways DMU's are alowed to run at a higher speed. VLine in Victoria (Australia) currently allows VLocity's and the older Sprinter DMU's to do 130kph on lines limited to 115kph for loco hauled trains, the VLIne service to Seymour being an excellent example, the MSTS route for this being avialible. In the past South Australian Railways allowed the Bluebird rail cars to do 70mph on lines with 60mph limit.
On the NSW main lines curve and Gradient charts all curves have two speed limits posted one for the XPT (NSW version of the british intercity 125) and a lower limit for all other trains.

Lindsay

Lindsay

#17 User is offline   dennisat 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails & MSTS

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:52 AM

View PostLindsayts, on 05 March 2014 - 04:27 PM, said:

A second point is on some railways DMU's are alowed to run at a higher speed.

This is true in the UK as well. On the far North Scottish lines, the curves have different speed limits for DMUs and loco hauled trains.

Dennis

#18 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 16 March 2014 - 02:19 AM

Edit: Deleted, sorry. :sign_sorry:

#19 User is offline   disc 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 16 March 2014 - 08:43 AM

View Postdennisat, on 06 March 2014 - 12:52 AM, said:

This is true in the UK as well. On the far North Scottish lines, the curves have different speed limits for DMUs and loco hauled trains.

Dennis

It's true for every countries, and called in TS2014 as primary and secondary speed limit.

#20 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:35 PM

View Postdisc, on 16 March 2014 - 08:43 AM, said:

It's true for every countries, and called in TS2014 as primary and secondary speed limit.

It rather depends on what you call "primary" and "secondary".
MSTS (and present ORTS) also supports 2 speed limits - passenger and freight.
But that's based on type of train - a passenger train with an engine (instead of EMU) runs at passenger speed, not freight.
In Scotland (and some other UK routes), the speed limit is based on type of traction : a loco-hauled passenger train has the same speedlimit as a freight train, and that is (much) lower as the limit for Multiple Units. That difference is based on axle load.
Other routes have even more speed differences, e.g. (to stick with UK) HST's often are allowed higher speeds, as are tilting trains. On some routes in the UK you can find as many as 4 different speed signs at one location.
Such differences also exist in other countries, with different speed limits based on tilting capacity (for curves), or axle load (for viaducts etc.). That's a lot more variation than just "primary" and "secondary".
A possible option would be to define 'speed profiles' per route, and at every speedpost set the limits for all such profiles. That, however, requires different speedpost data from what is now available, and will have to wait until OR's own Route Editor.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users