• You cannot reply to this topic

MEP Speed Limits Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   keystoneaholic 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:36 PM

I am running version X2049.

This issue has come up in the 'Down Yorkshire Pullman' activity.

The maximum speed is taken as 89mph, regardless of the actual limit in the route. The route limits show up correctly in the 'F4' popup at the points where it is defined, but nothing more than 89mph is displayed. This figure is also displayed in the platform at Kings Cross.

Does OR limit the maximum speed to 89mph as a default? Large chunks of this route actually have a limit of 125mph.

In addition, it appears that DMU's appearing as AI trains are missing their first car.

A final bug seems to be that at low speed with freight trains, one of 50 cars the other of 100 cars, (on both Surfliner2 and the ATSF Clovis Sub) when changing camera view I am getting a brief 'wheelslip' indication.

#2 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:04 PM

keystoneaholic, on 28 February 2014 - 01:36 PM, said:

The maximum speed is taken as 89mph, regardless of the actual limit in the route. The route limits show up correctly in the 'F4' popup at the points where it is defined, but nothing more than 89mph is displayed. This figure is also displayed in the platform at Kings Cross.

Does OR limit the maximum speed to 89mph as a default? Large chunks of this route actually have a limit of 125mph.

The maximum speed is also determined by the value of the first MaxVelocity parameter ( speed in meters per second) in the .con file of the train, which is considered as the maximum speed that the train is allowed to reach, even if the route speed is higher. If you increase that value in your .con file, you should see your maximum speed increase.

#3 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:51 PM

The Yorkshire Pullman speed limit may be a deliberate one set by the activity author, because the aim of the Pullman service was not speed, but comfort. Lower speed equals more passenger comfort. FWIW, other Deltic hauled consists on the MEP have lower and higher speeds, some as high as 123mph, when a Deltic max was 100, although one was timed at 104.

#4 User is offline   keystoneaholic 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:55 AM

Csantucci, on 28 February 2014 - 02:04 PM, said:

The maximum speed is also determined by the value of the first MaxVelocity parameter ( speed in meters per second) in the .con file of the train, which is considered as the maximum speed that the train is allowed to reach, even if the route speed is higher. If you increase that value in your .con file, you should see your maximum speed increase.

If I run this activity in MSTS I can quite happily run up to 100mph, I haven't gone beyond this. By the schedule you need to average about 90 from Kings Cross to Doncaster.

The parameter on the consist appears to be shown as:-

MaxVelocity ( 40.00000 1.00000 )

(A guy I worked with in my Cambridge Travel Centre days had been a second man at New England and mentioned an occasion when his driver and the Traction Inspector who was with them were deep in conversation coming down from Stoke Summit and the TI's comment that "We'd better ease it down a bit" only came as they were approaching 125mph).

#5 User is offline   markus_GE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 01 March 2014 - 07:16 AM

That Max Velocity parameters you got there lok like the defaults of Conbuilder (and I think, MSTS AE too) to me...

If that´s the case, it looks a little impractical, if a consist´s speed is limited according to these values, as these are only MSTS parameters to determine the train´s speed if it is an AI train. In ORTS it rather would be appropriate to determine the max speed for a train from the max speed values defined in every .eng file. The lowest value will become the max speed for the train.

Cheers, Markus

#6 User is offline   Matej Pacha 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 01 March 2014 - 01:57 PM

I say that the min value of all the limits should be the train speed limit. In MSTS there is no definition of max speed in WAG file, but it should be. The consist limit is also important because usually a poor brake response or a brake force limit (low brake percent) leads to the speed limitation - just to ensure the train is able to stop on defined distance. If MSTS in explore mode leaves this consits' speed limit, we should do the same. Otherwise, the lowest speed limit logic seems to be OK for me. Someone is responsible for this setting and you should respect it :) If not, then edit or create your own setting...

Cheers,

Matej

#7 User is offline   markus_GE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:06 PM

I really don´t know now, how MSTS´ explore mode handles these speeds, yet since in most consist files (at least of the ones I checked from my installation, which were about 50 files now) the consist´s max speed is somewhere around 40, everybody would have to rework such files. 40 doesn´t seem to be the ideal value, does it? :)

Cheers, Markus

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users