• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Graphics Problem Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   tlorey 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Post icon  Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:22 AM

I've been having a problem with the graphics with Open Rails. I get good frame rates (30 fps+) but a lot of the time the picture isn't smooth - it tends to become jerky. The worst performance is when there is wheel slip (which happens frequently).
I realize that my computer is really limited when it comes to gaming: It's an HP Pavilion dv7-1260us laptop with Windows Vista, AMD Turion X2 Dual CoreProcessor, and an ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics card. However, I am able to run Flight Simulator 2004 with no problems.
Short of getting a better computer for gaming (which I cannot afford right now), does anyone have any ideas that I could try to improve the graphics performance?
Thank you for your help!

#2 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:26 AM

It would be useful to post your OpenRailsLog.txt (on your desktop) which will tell us what graphics settings you have configured in Open Rails. That said, reducing the world object density helps a lot at the cost of the scenery detail.

#3 User is offline   tlorey 

• Fireman

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:42 PM

View PostJames Ross, on 27 February 2014 - 11:26 AM, said:

It would be useful to post your OpenRailsLog.txt (on your desktop) which will tell us what graphics settings you have configured in Open Rails. That said, reducing the world object density helps a lot at the cost of the scenery detail.

I've attached that log here.

Attached File(s)

#4 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:47 PM

Thanks.

It looks like you're running the official release (version 0.9) which is a little out of date now; you may want to try out our experimental release (unzip to a separate folder to be safe) as much has changed since 0.9.

Your settings look pretty normal, so I would suggest world object density and viewing distance are likely the best options available to you.

#5 User is offline   tlorey 

• Fireman

Posted 27 February 2014 - 03:42 PM

View PostJames Ross, on 27 February 2014 - 12:47 PM, said:

Thanks.

It looks like you're running the official release (version 0.9) which is a little out of date now; you may want to try out our experimental release (unzip to a separate folder to be safe) as much has changed since 0.9.

Your settings look pretty normal, so I would suggest world object density and viewing distance are likely the best options available to you.

I tried the experimental release and it was a huge improvement! I tried several routes that had been very jerky and they ran smoothly. Thanks for your help!

#6 User is offline   rdamurphy 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS - OR

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:17 PM

You might find some surprising gains if you configure your antivirus software to ignore the files within the MSTS folders. There really isn't any reason for the antivirus to scan the static files every time they're opened, and since there's so many of them, it can severely slow down your game.

Robert

#7 User is offline   tlorey 

• Fireman

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:33 AM

View Postrdamurphy, on 27 February 2014 - 05:17 PM, said:

You might find some surprising gains if you configure your antivirus software to ignore the files within the MSTS folders. There really isn't any reason for the antivirus to scan the static files every time they're opened, and since there's so many of them, it can severely slow down your game.

Robert

Thank you for the advice. I'll give it a try.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users