• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sound in OR Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Metro4001 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:14 AM

How does sound work in OR? When listening to a train run by, most of the track and freight car sounds are drowned out by one or two dominant sounds which repeat at increasing frequency (repetitiveness) as the train increases speed. The dominant sounds are usually part of a larger SMS file and seem to take priority over any other sound in the file. Increasing the volume of the other sounds, decreasing the volume or priority of the offending sounds doesn't seem to have much effect. Any explanation on this would be most helpful. Currently I am using OR X_2045.

#2 User is offline   Metro4001 

• Fireman

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:52 AM

Bump? ;)

I might be missing something but I'd really like to figure out how to have the same richness of sound in OR as in MSTS without MSTS' um.....quirks.

#3 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:56 PM

OR should in general provide a compound sound that is quite similar to MSTS' one.
If you find significant differences, you should indicate a very definite test case that behaves as you complain: which route with which path with which consist with which camera view. With these indications maybe you could get an answer.

#4 User is offline   Metro4001 

• Fireman

Posted 10 March 2014 - 03:03 PM

Csantucci, on 10 March 2014 - 12:56 PM, said:

OR should in general provide a compound sound that is quite similar to MSTS' one.
If you find significant differences, you should indicate a very definite test case that behaves as you complain: which route with which path with which consist with which camera view. With these indications maybe you could get an answer.

I can't provide a very definite test case unless "OR in general" counts as one. Locomotive sounds, great (for the most part). Environmental sounds, great. Track sounds and freight train sounds, not so much. Both types of sounds are extremely low in volume. Adjusting the volume in the .sms files have not yielded satisfactory results. On the flip side, there will be one or two "dominant" .wav files of which you can hear very well but the whole file doesn't play, just a very short and annoying loop that at high speeds sounds ridiculous and grating. Overall, the best way I can describe OR's track and train sounds is like listening to the ocean in a conch shell with most of the .wav files sounding as if they are dozens of miles away.

Everything in OR is flawless however.

#5 User is offline   Metro4001 

• Fireman

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:08 AM

I fixed it. I need to read the logs. OR doesn't bombard you with errors like MSTS does so you have to read the log info. Turns out OR was looking for .wav files that were aliased, by that I mean actually blah blah blah//.wav. Went to the offending .sms and removed the alias lines and presto, sounds were improved.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users