• You cannot reply to this topic

CabView Sounds Missing or changed? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   R H Steele 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:29 AM

Have there been any recent changes to ORTS sound that could affect *cab.sms files. I am having some strange problems with some BLW virtual cab sounds and normal cabview sounds. I can hear the reverser and throttle notch "clicks" and sounds in the virtual cab but not in the normal cabview. Even tried switching sms files and still the same problem?? It's late and I'm tired. Tomorrow, it'll solve itself.

#2 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:33 AM

What is a virtual cab?

#3 User is offline   R H Steele 

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:41 PM

View Postgpz, on 18 February 2014 - 12:33 AM, said:

What is a virtual cab?

Many of the BLW/ZT models have a "5" key view for the cab - called a virtual cab, the view is the same as the passenger view, view controlled with the mouse. To move to another wagon with a view (caboose for eg) the normal alt+page up or down does the move. I only hear environmental sounds in the regular cabview - birds, winds, etc. The virtual cabview now has the sounds the normal cabview should have and the (default) normal cabview has environmental sounds. It's occurring in all the BLW GP9s I have tried, so far. I thought I got the external and internal sound files (sms) mixed, but now I am not so sure. I should not be hearing wind sounds, birds, and other environmental sounds in the cabview - they are the predominate sounds. Strange, aren't those route specific sounds? Have not tried other payware models yet. I don't believe it's something I've done, but that cannot be ruled out. Currently running Vx2007, tried other versions with same results which I would think rules ORTS out.

Edit: here's the section of the eng file containing the Virtual Cab data --- (there are associated shape files for the "virtual cabview")

Comment ( FCalc GUI 2.0, 96.3t, Standard roller, 4 Axles, Front area 9.5m, Drag 0.90 )
Friction (
1129.8N/m/s -0.10 1.4mph 12.848N/m/s 1.793
5.1N/rad/s 1 -1rad/s 0 1
)

Inside (
PassengerCabinFile ( GP9_BN_1701.s )
PassengerCabinHeadPos ( 1.10 3.45 3.14 )
RotationLimit ( 30 160 0 )
StartDirection ( 0 0 0 )
Sound ( "GP9Vcab.sms" )
)

Comment ( Small Driving Engines Cast Iron Brake Shoe Equipped Max Braking values by Bill Prieger. ) Comment ( Additional braking parameters contributed by Jean-Louis Chauvin. )
BrakeEquipmentType ( "Triple_valve, Auxilary_reservoir, Emergency_brake_reservoir" )

#4 User is offline   R H Steele 

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:35 PM

I figured it out. I found an entry in the GP9cab.sms files used for the engines that had sound problems that differed from the file of the same name - GP9cab.sms - used for engines that did have correct sounds. It was under the heading of ScalabiltyGroup.

The incorrect file had this entry:
ScalabiltyGroup ( 5
Activation (
PassengerCam ( )
Distance ( 100 )
)
Deactivation (
CabCam ( ) <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<note this entry
ExternalCam ( )
Distance ( 100 )
)

The correct file had these lines:
ScalabiltyGroup ( 5
Activation (
CabCam ( ) <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<line is now under activate heading
PassengerCam ( )
Distance ( 100 )
)
Deactivation (
ExternalCam ( )
Distance ( 100 )
)
Not knowing how this is supposed to work I reasoned that deactivate would turn the sounds off, or not start them to begin with - either way - no cab sounds. I simply moved the CabCam line from deactivate to activate and now the sounds are working properly. By doing this I hope I didn't affect some other sound feature. If someone with a knowledge of sms files could check my work - would be helpful.

I also noticed a line directly under the above scalanilitygroup entry: Stereo ( ) Is this referring to a stereo feature that is not turned on or implemented. Is there a possibility of stereo sound?

I know this does not have anything to do with Open Rails, sorry I got it started in the wrong place. Suppose, it should be under MSTS or general train stuff.
Attached is the corrected GP9cab.sms file for reference

Attached File(s)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users