Elvas Tower: Steam Model - Geared Locomotives - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Steam Model - Geared Locomotives Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 13 February 2014 - 02:28 AM

Hi,

I am currently researching to see whether I can incorporate functionality for geared steam locomotives, such as the Shay and Climaxs, into the steam model, but I am in need of some detailed information.

I have found this site - Shay Locomotives. It is very informative, but I am also interested in the "boiler" information for the standard Shay models listed on the gear page.

I have also found this book - but it is only a preview version. Does anybody have a copy of it, and does it have boiler information, such as Evaporation Area, Grate Area, etc?

The Shays appear to only have low speeds of operation, what happens if they exceed these speed limits, do they self-destruct, by throwing gears all over the place?

I am also interested in similar info on the Climax, as well as gearing ratios, etc.

Is this info available on the NET anywhere?

Thanks

Peter

#2 User is online   dajones 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:57 PM

I don't have a copy of any of those books, but "Stairway to the Stars" by Dan Abbott has a table of information on the Argentine Central shays. Number 7, a class 50-2, is the only one that matches that gears page, but the grate area is listed as 24.3 sq ft. The firebox heating surface is 112 sq ft and the tube heating surface is 962 sq ft.

The Argentine Central also had a class 37-2, several 45-2s and a 47-2. I could post the similar info. for these if you need it.

Doug

#3 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:41 PM

Hi Doug,

dajones, on 13 February 2014 - 07:57 PM, said:

I don't have a copy of any of those books, but "Stairway to the Stars" by Dan Abbott has a table of information on the Argentine Central shays. Number 7, a class 50-2, is the only one that matches that gears page, but the grate area is listed as 24.3 sq ft. The firebox heating surface is 112 sq ft and the tube heating surface is 962 sq ft.

The Argentine Central also had a class 37-2, several 45-2s and a 47-2. I could post the similar info. for these if you need it.

Thanks for the feedback.

I will think about it and let you know.

Cheers

Peter

#4 User is offline   Shay 5 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Inactive
  • Simulator:MSTS/ ORTS

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:18 PM

This is good news! Glad the ORTS staff taking the time out to integrate geared steam into the sim. As for info, Nelson locomotive works built a scale model of a shay and based it off some of the shays at cass. In building his shay, he went to cass and studied the shays there. He has links too that show additional info he used.

#5 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant

Posted 26 February 2014 - 02:15 PM

Sorry for the late reply,

I have a table stating the main dimensions of all models the Lima locomotive works built in aprox 1926. Dimensions includes, cylinders, weights and most boiler dimensions. The table is from the Shay chapter of "Articulated Locomotives" by Lionel Weiner published in 1927.

I also have the book "The Heisler Locomotive" author never gave his name, book published by Benjamin F. G. Kline Jr. This book would be the most complete book on these locomotives in existance and has around 4 or 5 model tables over the period the locos were manufactured. No boiler details were ever given out by the various companys that made the Heisler, but the book does have a number of drawings at least two of these are based on measurements from locos that still exist, so the boiler dimensions can be worked out or at least inferred from these for most models.

I also have a booklet which is a replica of the sales book published around 1926, this gives no more info than whats in the previous book.

Lindsay

#6 User is offline   Shay 5 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Inactive
  • Simulator:MSTS/ ORTS

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:40 PM

Gotcha. The same guy is building a heisler and has several references for both the Cass heisler 6, and Mt. Rainer heisler 91. He studied their boilers and got dimensions I think.

#7 User is offline   steamer_ctn 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:35 AM

Hi Lindsay,

Lindsayts, on 26 February 2014 - 02:15 PM, said:

I have a table stating the main dimensions of all models the Lima locomotive works built in aprox 1926. Dimensions includes, cylinders, weights and most boiler dimensions. The table is from the Shay chapter of "Articulated Locomotives" by Lionel Weiner published in 1927.

Are you able to share the table with us?

Thanks

Peter

#8 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant

Posted 27 February 2014 - 02:22 AM

steamer_ctn, on 27 February 2014 - 12:35 AM, said:

Hi Lindsay,

Are you able to share the table with us?

Thanks

Peter

I will put it up within the next few days.

The web site mentioned (nelsonlocomotive.com) has a lot of good detailed images of two 90 ton Heislers, saturated steamer at Cass and Superheated at Mount Ranier both railways allowed him good access to both machines.

Lindsay

#9 User is offline   Lindsayts 

• Superintendant

Posted 27 February 2014 - 02:39 AM

steamer_ctn, on 13 February 2014 - 02:28 AM, said:

Hi,

The Shays appear to only have low speeds of operation, what happens if they exceed these speed limits, do they self-destruct, by throwing gears all over the place?

There appear to be two main issues wit the Shays at any kind of speed. The first it was very rough on the drive shafts apparently due to how far it was offset. Second point, all of the drive was open so at any kind of speed all the lubrication was thrown off which real limited operation.

The Heisler did not suffer from either of these problems (the gearing runs in an oil bath, the drive being down the centre of the machine) and the machine had a reputation of being fast for a geared loco.

I am also interested in similar info on the Climax, as well as gearing ratios, etc.

Is this info available on the NET anywhere?

Thanks

Peter

I will have a look at the Climax chapter in Articulated locomotives, the puffing billy railway in the hills east Melbourne (Australia) also has one of the few working climax's in existance. I believe they have just completed or are about to complete a major rebuild. The machine is quite slow and it absolutely eats wood, it used to be used on ballast trains on the railway as it was easy to control when slow making dropping ballast simpler.

Lindsay

#10 User is offline   B & O GUY 

• Vice President
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:23 AM

Information for Climax locomotives if not mentioned before.

( http://www.climaxlocomotives.com/ )

Allen

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users