New Texture format and the memory problems Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   markus_GE 

• Executive Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:ORTS / MSTS

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:22 PM

Thanks for the comments :(

Yet, I forgot to add in the above: It would be a one time process, only to be repeated for files you are installing newly.
(Opposed to on-the-fly conversion, which would repeat everytime ORTS loads.)

Cheers, Markus

#12 User is offline   conductorchris 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:Open Rails - MSTS

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:26 PM

Seems to me supporting both would be the way to go unless there is some technical reason why it's a bad idea.
Christopher

#13 User is offline   Eldorado.Railroad 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 03 February 2014 - 04:08 PM

View PostFrom 03 February 2014 - 12:20 PM:

What about offering the option to use DDS or not? We already use ACE format but could we support both without ill effect on OR?

I think that allowing for both, in the same directory does not destroy any compatibility with MSTS, or any other tools one might use including ShapeViewer, TGATool, etc. OR would have the intelligence to discover if a given filename.ace also had a filename.dds in the same directory at runtime. If the filename.dds exists, use it instead. The .dds would be invisible to MSTS, and thus, no trouble.

Would that work for you?

#14 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 03 February 2014 - 04:21 PM

I'm rather surprised no one has suggested to have the code first look for a .dds file and if not found look for .ace instead.

If that's not an optimal solution for technical reasons how about using the texture replacement idea I've suggested for several years -- put something into the .sd file that says when the mesh file has abc.ace use def.dds instead. Not only will it allow the introduction of .dds file it will also allow everyone to keep reskins in the original directory.

#15 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:15 AM

One thing is sure: When there will be a decision, I will be able to commit the DDS support within 15 minutes. ;) (In case I am at my computer at the moment.)

#16 User is online   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:27 AM

View PostGenma Saotome, on 03 February 2014 - 04:21 PM, said:

I'm rather surprised no one has suggested to have the code first look for a .dds file and if not found look for .ace instead.

There are two possibilities: first look for .dds file or first look for .ace file. Until .dds contents does not overwhelm .ace contents (I think some water will flow under the bridge) first checking for .ace file is the better choice. When in the future .dds contents is more widespread a small change can be done in the software so that first a .dds file is chosen.

#17 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:48 AM

Carlo, I think the case might be exactly the opposite. While there wouldn't be dedicated dds-textured models, everyone needed to make his own conversions. And it would be a pain modifying all .s files for containing the correct references for dds textures. In case dds was searched for first, there would be no need to modify .s files. Later, when ORTS-only content will be available, that will already contain the correct reference to the dds texture, and no fallback is needed for ace, since that content would not work in MSTS anyway. So in case an automatic replacement was made, it would be in the opposite direction than you wrote.

#18 User is offline   disc 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:17 AM

I think a lot of people use MSTS, so looking ACE files first, then for DDS file won't work, as in this case ACE files should be deleted to make the game load DDS. The opposite is much better, look for DDS, if not found then look for ACE. .s models not need any change, the path is the same the file extensions can be replaced on the fly.

#19 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:35 AM

All the comments that DDS should be checked first are right. We could start off by adding an experimental option in OR to "Load DDS textures in preference to ACE" so that we don't impact anyone unexpectedly, but can at least try out the ideas of batch conversions for those who want to.

If that goes well, and we can recommend (or easily provide ourselves) a tool to do the batch conversion, then option can be removed (and we'd always load DDS first, ACE second).

#20 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:59 AM

I see a problem. MSTS needs ace files. OR would like to use DDS. The s file for a model contains the names of the files required for the model. OR also reads this s file.

The nature of the problem is that you cannot have a model looking for ace files where there are only dds, and you cannot name the dds files with the ace extension because they will not work in MSTS. That means you need a second shape file to call the dds files, but that will break activities. Unless OR reads the s file and substitutes the dds for the ace.

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users