Elvas Tower: Switching Problem - Elvas Tower

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Switching Problem Un-couple, then re-couple, train won't budge! Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   SVRy_Steve 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 26 January 2014 - 05:25 AM

I seem to have a problem here. I'm running X1955, but this has been a problem with earlier versions for me as well.

If I try to do any switching or setting out cars, once I un-couple from any car or train, when I re-couple, the train won't move at all other than taking a bit of slack out. I've tried setting the brakes on the entire train and releasing, waiting for them to pump up fully to no effect. The engine can be at 100% throttle and slipping in forward or reverse, no go! I tried this with several different consists and engines (both steam and diesel), including a couple of NG Sumpter engines and trains on the SVRy route. All the same problem.

With just or two cars, I can sometimes drag them at near full throttle. I should mention, everything works fine as long as the train stays intact or I drop cars from the rear and don't re-attach them.

Any thoughts?

Oh, Thanks for the much improved steam exhaust!

Steve

#2 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 26 January 2014 - 07:47 AM

Attach the air hoses?

#3 User is offline   cwvs 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:MSTS, OpenRails

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:46 AM

You need to couple the air hose using the \ key. Then you can pump air and release brakes. FYI, on the prototype, when adding cars it is recommended to apply brakes to suppression, then after the pressure stabilizes, release and pump air.

Bob :)

#4 User is offline   SVRy_Steve 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:06 AM

Ah! I hadn't realized that ORTS had this feature, cool. At least back in the 1970's, one coupled the hoses to a cut, then, by repeatedly tapping/whacking the angle cock, you slowly allowed air to start flowing. If you did it all at once, you were likely to dump the air.

Also, slowly adding air is much safer. Dad was working with a friend, both brakemen back in the mid 50's, who got in a hurry. He quickly slapped the hoses together and jammed open the angle cock, the hoses weren't well connected and they blew apart, with the one end coming up between his legs :) :blink: :bad: :ko2:

Guess I better get off here and get to switching! Thanks!

Steve

#5 User is offline   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 26 January 2014 - 11:44 AM

One thing worth checking (memory doesn't suffice here) is whether the software is actually opening the angle cock (as in it gets automatically closed on the head end part of the train when you uncouple) or in fact is simply an extra step for the hoses (as in all the air on both sides gets dumped when you uncouple). IIRC it's the later and if so that never seemed right... that another open-close keystroke combination was called for that angle cock.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users