Elvas Tower: Activity Evaluation - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Activity Evaluation Very basic function available in X1955 Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   dforrest 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:MSTS, Open Rails

Posted 31 January 2014 - 04:52 AM

Would it be possible to have a simple evaluation to be generated at the completion of an Activity as is done in MSTS?

------------
David

#12 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:50 AM

Not really, for a whole set of reasons.
First of all there is no such distinct 'end of activity' which terminates the simulation as in MSTS. On a 'possible' end of activity, the 'close' window pops up - but the player can continue if he wishes to do so. But even if he selects 'quit' at that moment he may have just saved before that and return later to resume - so there is no knowing if stopping the sim means the end of the activity.
Furthermore, part of the data is taken from the train control logic but that part of the program is not 'involved' in stopping the simulation - when the simulation is stopped, there simply are no more updates to the train control.
A further point is that it would need evaluation data from the full activity which might have been saved and resumed, so all the evaluation data would have to be kept in the program data and included in save / resume data as well.
That's all quite a bit of additional work, and it's not on my list of things to do at the moment.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

#13 User is offline   Sid P. 

• Conductor
  • Simulator:Open Rails / MSTS

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:34 AM

Hi All-
After reading these posts, I'm not sure where and "if" the evaluation files are found.
What's the status with X1975?
Do you have to finish the activity to get a file ?

Thanks,
Sid

#14 User is offline   dforrest 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:37 AM

View Postroeter, on 01 February 2014 - 04:50 AM, said:

Not really, for a whole set of reasons.
First of all there is no such distinct 'end of activity' which terminates the simulation as in MSTS. On a 'possible' end of activity, the 'close' window pops up - but the player can continue if he wishes to do so. But even if he selects 'quit' at that moment he may have just saved before that and return later to resume - so there is no knowing if stopping the sim means the end of the activity.
Furthermore, part of the data is taken from the train control logic but that part of the program is not 'involved' in stopping the simulation - when the simulation is stopped, there simply are no more updates to the train control.
A further point is that it would need evaluation data from the full activity which might have been saved and resumed, so all the evaluation data would have to be kept in the program data and included in save / resume data as well.
That's all quite a bit of additional work, and it's not on my list of things to do at the moment.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

In my opinion the lack of a distinct “end of activity” in OR is a bug which should be addressed. The “end of activity” is clearly defined on the activity (.act) file. From my experience, most MSTS users expect to see an on-screen notification when they have completed an activity and a report which is saved for future reference. I am sure that this would be expected by these users in OR.

---------------
David

#15 User is offline   dforrest 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:29 AM

Is there any more progress on this?

I feel very strongly that, for Open Rails by be a viable alternative for the "general user", activity evaluations with general information on the completion of the activity. is an absolute necessity.

-------------
David

#16 User is offline   dforrest 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 13 November 2014 - 03:32 AM

With renewed talk of version 1.0 being released, I repeat my opinion that many every-day users will expect to have an activity report showing that they have completed a particular activity and any relevant comments on this completion.

David

#17 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 13 November 2014 - 11:43 AM

View Postdforrest, on 13 November 2014 - 03:32 AM, said:

With renewed talk of version 1.0 being released, I repeat my opinion that many every-day users will expect to have an activity report showing that they have completed a particular activity and any relevant comments on this completion.

Thanks, David, for raising this again (and also for finding the correct historical thread to post to).

#18 User is offline   dforrest 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 14 February 2015 - 04:29 AM

Is there any progress on this?

-------------
David

#19 User is offline   dforrest 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 11 April 2015 - 12:51 PM

I am concerned to see that inclusion of this MSTS feature has again been postponed, this time to version 1.1.

David

#20 User is offline   mauried 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 12 April 2015 - 11:00 PM

I cant see how activity evaluation can ever be implemented in OR simply because there are far more things that can be done in OR compared to MSTS
that its difficult to define what an activity is , and what the criteria for measuring such an activity would be.
Coding wise , it would take an immense effort to do , and would be extremely activity specific as to how it could be measured.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users