• You cannot reply to this topic

Revision X1928 Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is online   dennisat 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails & MSTS

Posted 08 January 2014 - 04:06 AM

Hi,

X1928 seems to cause sounds attached to the cloning vehicle to also be attached to the clones. When running an act that has a Player DMU and many AI trains formed from the same DMU, the Player DMU has sounds totally unrelated to it. I have verified that it is caused by X1928 by reverting back to X1927.

Dennis

#2 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:51 AM

r1928 seems quite unrelated to this subject.

#3 User is online   dennisat 

• Conductor

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:45 AM

View Postgpz, on 08 January 2014 - 07:51 AM, said:

r1928 seems quite unrelated to this subject.

I've just done a clean checkout of the code at X1927 and the effect does not happen with this release. I followed that by another clean checkout at X1928 and confirmed that the extraneous sound does occur there. Using the Sound Debugging form, I have identified the source of the extraneous sounds as an AI of identical stock to the Player train entering the station at the very start of the activity. The Player train is stationary with throttle closed but with the engines apparently loudly audibly running from the cab and outside. As the AI approaches and comes to a stop, the audible engine sounds rise and fall in the cab of the Player train as though the Player thrain throttle is being opened and closed. Operation of the throttle on the Player train, although causing a rise in tractive effort does not affect the sounds audible in the cab. About 5 or 6 minutes after the AI has vanished, Player train sounds revert to normal - apparently.

Dennis

PS: Just to confirm the releases I've just tested were absolutely clean from the SVN server - all copies on my system were completely deleted before both checkouts and no personal mods on anywhere.

#4 User is offline   gpz 

• Superintendant
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:OpenRails

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:44 AM

Right, I think I found the problem. It is not related by sound directly, but I think it is caused by the following:

in r1928 the following line was removed:
DieselEngines = new DieselEngines(locoCopy.DieselEngines, this);

and was inserted a new line elsewhere:
DieselEngines = locoCopy.DieselEngines;

However this new line seems to be incorrect. DieselEngines is a class, so assigning it by the latter way only assigns the reference of the locoCopy.DieselEngines, so in fact they will be exactly the same objects, referenced by two variables. The first way of copying is the correct one.

This commit is Robert's one, so he could explain what was the idea behind the change.

#5 User is online   dennisat 

• Conductor

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:52 AM

Hi there,

Thanks for the prompt attention to this problem. Knowing that people do investigate these glitches is another of the reasons I am an OR supporter.

Dennis

#6 User is offline   rdamurphy 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Private - Open Rails Developer
  • Simulator:MSTS - OR

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:34 PM

View Postgpz, on 08 January 2014 - 10:44 AM, said:

Right, I think I found the problem. It is not related by sound directly, but I think it is caused by the following:

in r1928 the following line was removed:
DieselEngines = new DieselEngines(locoCopy.DieselEngines, this);

and was inserted a new line elsewhere:
DieselEngines = locoCopy.DieselEngines;

However this new line seems to be incorrect. DieselEngines is a class, so assigning it by the latter way only assigns the reference of the locoCopy.DieselEngines, so in fact they will be exactly the same objects, referenced by two variables. The first way of copying is the correct one.

This commit is Robert's one, so he could explain what was the idea behind the change.

There were a lot of duplicate lines in there, so I cleaned it up and messed that one up. I'll fix that tonight, and restore the correct copy assignment...

Robert

#7 User is offline   rdamurphy 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 09 January 2014 - 02:22 AM

Fix took a bit more than I expected, but that statement is back and the exhaust is working correctly. Added a small tweak, when RPM's drop, exhaust is decreased 50% and when RPM's rise, exhaust is increased to 200% with provisions for making those changeable in future releases when the OR .eng files are available.

gpz, thanks so much for checking this out, and explaining the correct method.

Robert

#8 User is online   dennisat 

• Conductor

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:04 AM

Hi,

Thanks very much for your efforts. I'll check that the problem has gone as soon as I can. Housework today, must have the place looking presentable when my wife gets home. (I'm retired but my wife still works)

Dennis

#9 User is offline   rdamurphy 

• Open Rails Developer

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:34 AM

View Postdennisat, on 09 January 2014 - 03:04 AM, said:

Hi,

Thanks very much for your efforts. I'll check that the problem has gone as soon as I can. Housework today, must have the place looking presentable when my wife gets home. (I'm retired but my wife still works)

Dennis

Yes, please. Then we can put this bug to bed, er the roach hotel, or, er, wherever dead bugs go... :lol2:

Robert

#10 User is online   dennisat 

• Conductor

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:58 AM

I've done a couple of tests with an act which always showed up this problem and it now runs OK. It looks like the problem is cured. Once again, thanks for the quick response :lol2:.

Dennis

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users