#61 User is offline   cjakeman 

• Vice President
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:56 AM

Hi Eolesen,

View Posteolesen, on 19 January 2014 - 06:29 AM, said:

New item.. Installer script for a user who does not already have MSTS installed, to define the mandatory folders ORTS needs and deposit mandatory global files with default settings.

Several people have done this on the side, but it's time to formalize it for new users who may never own a copy of MSTS.

Thanks for your request.

I'm actually working on this one right now using Inno Setup. It can be programmed to install XNA and .NET redistributables where necessary.

#62 User is online   Genma Saotome 

• Owner Emeritus and Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: ET Admin

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:10 PM

Is it true that OR is still using the MSTS friction line for rolling resistance? I thought that was replaced by the Davis Formula a long time ago. If not, then this wish:

Dump the MSTS friction line entirely so rolling resistance is accurate relative to reality or, if people can't let go of their easy rolling consists, add an option to let the player choose one or the other formula. That'll allow everyone to be happy. I can provide variants of the Davis formula that are specific to passenger cars, freight cars, steam locomotives and (I think) diesel-electic railcars (i.e., Doodlebugs) -- they're all in Johnson's The Steam Locomotive.

#63 User is offline   copperpen 

• Executive Vice President
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & OR

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:06 PM

OR is reading the friction line, then applying the Davis calculation to it far as I can make out.

#64 User is offline   timothyskinner 

• Conductor
  • Group: Status: Active Member
  • Simulator:msts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:01 PM

Wish List?
hmmm...routes take many man-hours, but there is already data available for position and height above sea level.
I read somewhere on here about taking the data from digital maps directly to a track laying program...
With that the next stage would be to also take roads and buildings data from satellite digital images...
And thereby stop the hangup on every route project when scenicking...

More to the immediate point, in MSTS a save evaluation in text is used by virtuals, a camera zoom on 4 helps time pass on long trips, mileposts are essential on the track monitor, disappearing speed limits (when the limit sign is alongside the train) are not a good idea, less opaque see through glass in such as the track monitor would enhance against some backgrounds and dynamic brakes that are reluctant to engage/dis-engage irritate. A program to make more realistic how and when power is available to a rail engineer would be good - that not all steamers pull well from low speed is just one example - there is wheelslip and how different steam circuits react to changes in load and applied steam. Oh and I nearly forgot traversers...

Timothy

#65 User is offline   Traindude 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:34 PM

View PostPA1930, on 16 January 2014 - 05:03 PM, said:

Joining in this nice idea, I'd also suggest something for nowadays trains: high voltage connectors from diesel and electric locos to the passenger cars to make their A/C work. That'd be a funny thing to actually activate it and hear the passenger cars making a "bzzz" sound from the A/C working. :p

And better yet, steam/HEP (head-end-power) generator cars. That way one can use any locomotive regardless if it has a steam or HEP generator on board.

#66 User is offline   Zepder 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Inactive
  • Simulator:Open Rails, MSTS

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:44 AM

I would like if you could bind Headlights in the .eng-file to a key, like if you eg. using HeadLights(10) or Headlights("i"), you could turn on/off engine-lights, work lights, or other lights than the main lights (front/back).

#67 User is offline   scottb613 

• Vice President
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:13 AM

Hi Folks,

Is there any way to introduce native DirectX support for joystick/controllers - similar to the MS Flight Simulator franchise ??? This would open so many doors for us to have better control of trains in OR and leverage so many of the fine hardware products already available on the market... I've tried some of the emulators - such as Pinnacle and my CH Products software - but - counting keystrokes is far from perfect and still leaves much to be desired... With the support I'm suggesting - if you have a throttle and you move half way open - the sim is aware of the exact position of the throttle and sets it accordingly... In the OR setup screen - for each keyboard assignment - there would be an additional column to assign that function to a hardware device... This would allow us to add joysticks, throttles, toggle switches, sliders, rotary switches, etc etc etc - as we see fit to increase the immersion factor...

Anyway - thanks for the consideration...

Regards,
Scott

#68 User is offline   Claude350 

• Hostler
  • Group: Status: Active Member

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:24 AM

I would like to see switch stand targets that display properly when lined for the main or turnout.

#69 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:44 AM

I'm not sure I have understood correctly what you mean, but if you mean what is shown below, it does work under MSTS.
Main
Attached Image: Open Rails 2014-01-27 08-38-18.jpg

Turnout
Attached Image: Open Rails 2014-01-27 08-38-37.jpg

#70 User is offline   roeter 

• Vice President

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:05 PM

There are a number of switchstands in various routes which have rather strange 'animation' settings : they do not have animation settings 0 and 1, as one would expect (and as the OR program expects), but 1 and 2. Yet the sigcfg.dat animation references are set to 0 and 1.
These animations will work in MSTS but the mismatch in animation setting between the sigcfg.dat and the shape file can cause problems in OR. Changing the references in the sigcfg.dat file can sometimes work to sort this out.

Regards,
Rob Roeterdink

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users