Elvas Tower: Refilling - Elvas Tower

Posting Rules

All new threads will be started by members of the Open Rails team, Staff, and/or Admins. Existing threads started in other forums may get moved here when it makes sense to do so.

Once a thread is started any member may post replies to it.
  • 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Refilling with water, coal and diesel oil Rate Topic: -----

#81 User is offline   Csantucci 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member

Posted 18 September 2018 - 11:39 PM

Edward, excuse me if I intervene here. In fact I checked the code and triggers 6 (FuelTowerDown) and 7 (FuelTowerUp) aren't managed by OR. Only triggers 9 (FuelTowerTransferStart) and 10 (FuelTowerTransferEnd) are managed. The default wtower.sms handles also triggers 6 and 7, so their sounds wouldn't play.
Is it clear at which moment these 4 triggers are triggered in MSTS? It is not clear to me.

#82 User is offline   midneguy 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 19 September 2018 - 02:49 PM

View PostCsantucci, on 18 September 2018 - 11:39 PM, said:

Edward, excuse me if I intervene here. In fact I checked the code and triggers 6 (FuelTowerDown) and 7 (FuelTowerUp) aren't managed by OR. Only triggers 9 (FuelTowerTransferStart) and 10 (FuelTowerTransferEnd) are managed. The default wtower.sms handles also triggers 6 and 7, so their sounds wouldn't play.
Is it clear at which moment these 4 triggers are triggered in MSTS? It is not clear to me.

Carlo,

I can probably answer your question for the most part...

The wtower.sms (filling steam locomotive tenders with water from a track side tank) and ctower.sms (filling steam locomotive tenders with coal from a track side chute or tower) both use the same discrete triggers, and both .sms files are structured the same way. The function would be as follows when the tender of a steam locomotive is properly positioned at either a water or coal pickup / refuelling point:

• When the "T" key is pressed, Discrete trigger 6 is activated to play the water spout being lowered / moved .wav file once (same for a coal chute)
  • As the "T" key continues to be held, the .sms moves to discrete trigger 9 which is the looped filling sound - either water rushing, or coal sliding
  • As long as the "T" key is held, the sound of water or coal transferring continues and is looped
  • When the "T" key is released, Discrete trigger 10 is activated which releases the looped transferring sound - this should be able to function with either a ReleaseLoopRelease command, or ReleaseLoopReleaseWithJump
  • After the transferring sound has ended, the .sms moves to Discrete Trigger 7 which plays the water spout or chute being raised / moved, playing that .wav file once

The .sms file assignment to the different pickup / refuelling point types is specified in the .trk file for a given route.

#83 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 19 September 2018 - 10:38 PM

Thanks,
so OR should try to reproduce this.

#84 User is offline   midneguy 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 20 September 2018 - 02:46 AM

Carlo - that's correct. There's one other point I forgot to mention as part of my review, which Edward also mentioned previously... The .sms and related .wav files for these refuelling / transfer sounds are located in the global SOUND folder in MSTS, the same as where the track, coupling / uncoupling, etc. sounds are located. If it would be more straightforward for Open Rails for the .sms and .wav files to be located in the SOUND folder for a specific route I don't think that would be an issue though. It would just have to be communicated here and in the OR manual that the refuelling / transferring sounds would have to be copied to the route SOUND folder so people would know that's required for Open Rails.

Thanks for looking into this!

#85 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 20 September 2018 - 06:46 AM

midneguy,
re the .sms files path: OR looks into the route .trk file for the tower .sms file name, and from there in the route sound folder; if he doesn't find them there, he looks into the Train Simulator base folder. So that problem does not seem to exist.

#86 User is offline   Csantucci 

Posted 20 September 2018 - 07:30 AM

x.4217 should now play all four sounds.

#87 User is offline   midneguy 

• Foreman Of Engines

Posted 20 September 2018 - 01:59 PM

View PostCsantucci, on 20 September 2018 - 07:30 AM, said:

x.4217 should now play all four sounds.

Thanks Carlo - I'm looking forward to trying it out!

UPDATE - I've tested it out and it appears to work good - thanks again! http://www.elvastower.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/sign_thank_you.gif

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users