• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A question about seasons and time of day Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   railguy 

• Engineer
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 25 December 2013 - 09:49 AM

I've been re-writing a winter activity for Northwest Route Version 6, so I've been doing a lot of testing with the activity. My question is this: My activity starts at very near to dusk. Each time I start the activity, though, the sunset time (and loading of night textures) is a little different, as is the position and phase of the moon. I understand that OR reads the MSTS activity file and sets the sun, lunar, and star positions according to time of day and season, but it apparently must pick a random date in the winter (in my example), and load the positions accordingly. That is the only way that I can think of to explain the variation that occurs every time I start the activity. So, is there a way by manually editing the .act file that an exact day, say 12/24/2013, can be entered in the .act file that OR (but not MSTS, obviously) can read and base how it loads the sun, lunar, and stars accordingly?

Thanks.

#2 User is offline   James Ross 

• Open Rails Developer
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:Open Rails

Posted 25 December 2013 - 10:21 AM

Currently, you can't set the date used - but the date is fixed based on season (21st March 2010, 21st June 2010, 21st September 2010 and 21st December 2010).

The sun and moon positions, and their arcs, are entirely mathematically derived from the date above, the lat/long of the starting location and the activity start time.

The moon has several phases, and they are purely random.

I don't see anything in the code that would explain the same latitude/longitude and start times producing different positions for the same season (excluding the moon phase).

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users